• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:38 PM

I recently ordered a stainless 4 5/8ths" blackhawk in .45 colt to serve as my main carry weapon when in the hills. I was wondering if any of you folks have done any heavy bullet (320s and heavier) loading for this cartridge or possibly point me to some good links where I can get some ideas. The data in all my manuals are for jacketed bullets that are lighter than I want to use and are pretty tame. I've heard that John Linebaugh has a small, caliber specific manual for heavy 45colt ruger loads but I can't find it or how to get one. Any help would be apreciated.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#2 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

I have loaded up to 300 grain XTP's in my Ruger and they really roll out of the 5" bbl with a bang and considerable recoil. Way too much fun!! I use H110 powder. I get my load info from Hodgdon.http://data.hodgdon....tridge_load.asp

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:06 PM

Don't know if this is the one you had in mind but they have a caliber specific 45 Colt manual.http://www.loadbooks.com/

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,349 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:21 PM

I've heard that John Linebaugh has a small, caliber specific manual for heavy 45colt ruger loads but I can't find it or how to get one. Any help would be apreciated.

Try his site: http://www.customsixguns.com/

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:33 PM

Try his site: http://www.customsixguns.com/

Thanks SJ! :pirashoot: I think the "manual" I've heard about is probably his writings on heavy 45 loads. I checked out that site and it was very informtive. He even had a 350gr load, but his favorites are the 310/320s so I think I'll order some and do some plankin'. No I didn't spell that wrong. Plinking is for automatic pistol rounds (50 AE exepted) and magnum level handgun cartridges under 40 caliber, once you get above that you are officialy "plankin'!" :lol:Thanks for your replies too guys. 4R you should have a peep at that site, it's got some cool info for the 45 colt shooter/handloader
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:03 PM

WOW another new gun ! you are on a roll I am so jealous........... :signlol2iu:

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:32 PM

WOW another new gun ! you are on a roll I am so jealous........... :signlol2iu:

Hi everybody. My name is Matt and I'm a gunaholic.I tried to tell myself that this would be the last one for a while and that I'd start spending more time and money on one of my project cars, but wouldn't you know it, yesterday one of the guys I work with tracks me down to tell me that his buddy won a rifle at a dinner and wants to sell it at a very reasonable price. I told him that I didn't need it but if he were to knock a little more of the price I'd take it off his hands. I'll just have to wait and see.

#8 Rick

Rick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:19 AM

Hi everybody. My name is Matt and I'm a gunaholic.

Now THAT"S something I can relate to. :smiley_kewlpics:

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:29 PM

I spent yesterday cruising the gunshops in my area and found two boxes of COR-BON 335gr loads for my .45. I couldn't do any accuracy testing due to the extremly windy conditions but I just had to put some ammo thru the new rig. First I shot up a box of mag-tech western weinee loads :bleh[1]: . Those things were so slow I could actually SEE the bullets (and how they were being pushed around by the wind) on thier way to the targets. :WTF_1: Admittidley though, they would make a great small game round. Then I loaded up with some of the 335s. What a difference! :signs653wf: I recovered two slugs that I put up againced a cinder block. The first one went thru both walls of the block, thru the 3/4 inch particle board behind it, thru a 1/2 pine pallet board, and stuck in the last 1/2 inch pallet board. I put the second round into the thick center partition of the block where it stopped after three inches of penetration. As expected, both slugs had badly bashed up noses but they still weighed in at 326 and 315grs. The best part (aside from the awsome penetration) was that this load was not as "blasty" as my .44 or .357 so I could actually shoot a couple shots without earmuffs and not suffer the two day ear ringing that the higher pressure rounds tend to give me.

#10 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:01 PM

For what it's worth from one who wears hearing aids to be able to hear SOME of what goes on around him, never, and I mean NEVER, shoot a gun, any gun, with out hearing protection. You WILL loose some of your hearing with every shot. And believe me when I tell you, it is no fun not being able to hear what is going on in conversations. Once it is gone, it is gone. Please, PLEASE, don't shoot anything without hearing protection!!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#11 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:24 PM

I hear what you're saying. I wear ear protection when target shooting or if I'm set up on a colony of ground squirrels but when in the field after 'yotes or bigger game there useually isn't enough time to get out the ear plugs befor takeing a shot at game.

#12 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

There are a couple of things you can do. Wear plugs all the time. But of course then you won't be hearing anything. Kinda like me without my hearing aids. :smiley-sorry: Or you can wear a set of the electronic hearing muffs. Cabelas has a set for about 30 that work fair. But of course those are a bit bulky. Or you can get a pair of the in-the-ear plugs that have electronics in them that will cut out the loud noise of the gun, while giving you the ability to hear other things around you. In fact, for many of you guys that already have a hearing loss, it may improve your ability to hear whats going on around you. But these can cost several hundred dollars each. Kinda of expensive you say? The hearing aids I wear cost about $2500, FOR EACH EAR! Take it from me, consider the protection to your hearing. As that old commercial use to say, you can pay now or pay later. Your choice.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users