• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 t o double d

t o double d

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Adventure/Dual Sport/Offroad motorcycling, Ocean fishing from my kayak, camping, anything outdoors.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:12 PM

Anybody else had any problems with Wincheser ammo? I took my brand new Marlin 336C out to the range the other day and was shooting 150 grain Winchester 30-30 that I had ordered 100 rounds of from Cablea's. This was my first time shooting a riffle larger than a .22, although I've shot a 12 gauge a lot, and it seemed to kick more than I was expecting. On the fourth shot the ejected case was sheared in half. I immediatly examined the barrel and the top half of the case was lodged in the barrel. I examined the other three cases, still intact, but one of them had a slight crack in it and all four of them had the primers squished flat as a pancake. Even the markings on the base of the cases was flattened. I took my riffle back to Markley's were I purchased it and they said the loading was too hot. Makes sense to me.I have not been able to get ahold of Winchester yet, but Cablela's was great to deal with. They gave me a full refund, even allowing me to keep the dry box the ammo came in. I doubt Winchester will hep in any way to fix my gun, but I will attempt to contact them some more this week.I will be taking my rifle to a gun smith to remove the broken case.Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody else has had any similar issues?

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:46 PM

I've never cared for Winchester ammo, to tell you the truth. Although I haven't shot a lot of it, none of the Winchester ammo I've ever tried in my .223's or .308's have ever been very accurate. I haven't had any cases shear off like you describe, though.

#3 SLOWMAN

SLOWMAN

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:52 PM

EVERY TIME I RELOAD WINCHESTER AMMO IN EITHER PISTOL OR RIFLE I HAVE A LOT OF THROW AWAYS BECAUSE THE SHOULDERS COLLAPSE.

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:08 PM

Winchester ammo used to be great... but then they hired a QC Expert from Remington.. :sport037fn4: :hellohello9il:
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#5 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Hunting feral pest species, riding motorbikes,

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:09 PM

Yes, i've used winchester super X for my 308 in the past and several cases were damaged. Had trouble with winchester .22 subsonics misfiring and being wildly inaccurate due to too much wax. Had trouble with 17HMR 20 gr. JHP ammo with the winchester brand on the box (yeah I know CCI make it) where every single round cracked at the case neck. The only winchester ammo I keep now are 40 gr. .22LR power points which so far have had no problems.

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:33 PM

Just to make 100% sure, have the gunsmith check the head spacing on your rifle while he's removing the broken shell. I really doubt there is a problem with your gun but excessive head space can cause all of those same symptoms and it only takes a couple seconds to check it.
Sharps, the rifle that made the west safe for Winchester!

Real tractors have two cylinders and hand clutches.

My rifle is mine, it isn't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like.

#7 t o double d

t o double d

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Adventure/Dual Sport/Offroad motorcycling, Ocean fishing from my kayak, camping, anything outdoors.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for all the responses! I'll be sure to have the smith check the head spacing.

Winchester ammo used to be great... but then they hired a QC Expert from Remington.. :cheers: :doh[1]:

Hmmm... maybe that's the problem... My gun isn't really a Marlin, but a Marlington... (Remington bought Marlin recently...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users