#1 UNLICENSE_HUNTER

UNLICENSE_HUNTER

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping, Horses and Baseball

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Does anyone own or has shot with the Mossberg O/U shotgun?

this shotgun is on sale at the local Big 5 and would like to get more reviews this would be my firs O/U and fits my budge just right. thank you

here's the link
http://big5sportingg...tailerid=-98565

#2 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

They are good shotguns for the price. They are made in Turkey. I have the SxS version in 20ga and I love it. They used to have a firing pin issue but that has been fixed. Dont expect to impress anybody with it, but it should go bang reliably
Hic Ego Statio

#3 UNLICENSE_HUNTER

UNLICENSE_HUNTER

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

I just really wanna try the O/U shotguns and hoping not to spend too much on it. If I like how it works I'll just pass it down to my 13 yr old boy and I could upgrade to a nicer one ;).

Thanks for the help DirtyDave (btw you look very pale on your avatar do you ever get some sun?) :tease:

#4 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for the help DirtyDave (btw you look very pale on your avatar do you ever get some sun?) :tease:

Only at night...
Hic Ego Statio

#5 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Not a bad deal at all for an over/under. Normally they are like 600+

Need to get a shotgun. I only have a 22/410 over and under that my dad left me. While a great gun I wouldnt shoot anything but squirrels with it. I want a 12 guage
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Mossberg, Hahn, and I do believe one other manufacturer that escapes me all import them from Turkey through Century Arms. My best friend/hunting partner has been shooting the nicer Kahn version for over a decade now. I recently bought the 20ga version from another guy we hunt with that was liquidating. They both shoot fine, but they both tend to shoot low also. His much lower than mine. I won't start on my rant again, but if you do get one, PATTERN IT! His bottom barrel was 18" low at 40 yards :yikes[1]: . This can be corrected though with cheek riser and/or removing beads though.

I will also add this, his 12ga is much older than mine and absolutely hates heavy loads, ie double discharges. Ouch! My 20ga does not have that problem, and believe me, I push it beyond most 12ga specs. It can be cured with a stronger sear spring, he just hasn't let me mess with it yet. I think he uses it as an excuse to pamper his shoulder :lol: .

One more thing, the 12ga takes Benelli/Berretta choke tubes while the 20ga version takes Huglu choke tubes.

#7 UNLICENSE_HUNTER

UNLICENSE_HUNTER

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Thanks Bisley, I been looking for more info on the shotgun on google. There is alot of talk about the Silver O/U but I don't believe this particular shotgun is a silver line.

#8 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:54 AM

Just my 2 cents...I'd recommend spending that money on a beat up looking higher quality gun like a Citori or Win 101 or Miroku etc..

It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#9 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:49 AM

http://www.doublegun...3597#Post293597

Here's a nice 20g Citori that will last a lifetime.

$800 for this sxs 20g
http://www.doublegun...r=283928&page=1

$750 for this Ithaca 20ga sxs
http://www.doublegun...8376#Post298376

$800 for this 16ga Ithaca sxs
http://www.doublegun...8375#Post298375

They're out there.

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#10 UNLICENSE_HUNTER

UNLICENSE_HUNTER

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

I think you're right sxshooter. I just thought it was a really good price. I'll be checking out some auctions and gun shows I might get lucky and find me a treasure.

#11 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

That $750 Ithaca (Western Arms) 20g or 16g are both good deals. That Miroku sxs will outlast you and your son.

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

I'll be checking out some auctions and gun shows I might get lucky and find me a treasure.

Much better idea. I would never in a million years buy a firearm without handling it first (ie. online) or at least one like it. No matter how nice or expensive a gun it may be, not all guns fit us the same. And a poor fitting/feeling shotgun is just a paper weight since you will not want to use it.

I would also highly recommend trying someone's O/U or SxS, and not jumping in feet first with an expensive one since you mentioned this would be your first. Some people like them and some don't. Many don't like or don't get used to the view of a SxS, and many don't like how O/U's have the possibility of hitting at different elevations (again, something you can't send back to the factory to be fixed if bought used and it has that problem). Just a few more things to consider.

Or catch me on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday and I'll take you out off 138/Cajon Pass and try a couple out. Just don't get too pissed when the kid makes us both look like rookies, he's money with his old 20ga O/U ;)

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

.....I would also highly recommend trying someone's O/U or SxS, and not jumping in feet first with an expensive one since you mentioned this would be your first. Some people like them and some don't. Many don't like or don't get used to the view of a SxS, and many don't like how O/U's have the possibility of hitting at different elevations (again, something you can't send back to the factory to be fixed if bought used and it has that problem). Just a few more things to consider.

Yep. If you want a double, try both styles. I bought an o/u once because.......heck, I don't know, I just wanted an o/u. I grew up shooting a sxs and as it turned out, after one box of shells I decided that I actually didn't like an o/u at all.

Check out the Cz line of doubles. They are by no means a fancy high grade double but they are nice looking guns and they have a five year warranty (that also covers barrel regulation).
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#14 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

Probably the comment I hear most often from shooters about sxs guns is that they can't shoot double triggers. While some sxs guns came with single triggers, the overwelming majority did not. Even today most of the better ones on the market have double triggers. It's not that single triggers weren't or are not available even 100 years ago. It's just that they often have problems in the long run. So the finest guns made today still have double triggers offered even when they offer single triggers.

Handing down a poor quality gun with problems is not passing along an heirloom. Just keep in mind the saying about the taste of poor quality lingers a long time.

#15 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

• I have several Mossberg's and I would not hesatate to buy another, hower I would go quality and get the Silver Reserve series. All my modern guns are synthetic stocks, Any new one I get would have a nice wood stock setup.

#16 UNLICENSE_HUNTER

UNLICENSE_HUNTER

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Well this weekend I stopped by the Big5. I wanted to feel the Shotgun and found out that it was not a Mossberg the one they're giving me it was a Maverick.(wish is part of the Mossberg family but don't have much faight on it) The truth I had plan on taking the advice of some of you guys and wait and try it out before I spend my hard earn money on something I might end up not liking. But I wanted to feel it. what a waste of time.

oh well but I did ended up buying a Mossberg found me a used(basically new since they said they couldn't proof that it had not been shot that's why they advertise it as used) http://www.galleryof...aspx?item=56420
I comes with a 28" barrel and a 22" for turkey. I'm very happy specially cause I'm saving the other 200$ i was planing on spend and put it towards my next gun.

Bisley I'm gonna take your word for it and go with you up to Cajon Pass. I just gotta get permission from the wife :lame:

#17 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Just let me know. I have to ask...........oh Hell, who am I kidding, I don't have to ask anyone :rofl2: . Just give me a little heads up so I don't make plans. I almost always work until noon Saturdays and am free after that and Sundays too. Let me know when you get it (permission and gun :lol: ) and we'll put it through the paces and try a variety of others also. Just be forewarned that I am going to make you pattern it beore we do anything :D . And be ready to dismiss all the BS you hear about FAST loads and patterns. You will be amazed at what a shotgun can do (and how far they can reach) with the right combinations ;) . I've got three foot release throwers (don't ask) and a few hand throwers so all you need to do is stock up on bulk Wal-Mart ammo and bring yourself an the shotgun. And feel free to bring the kid too, I don't hardly anywhere without the 12 year old pain nephew myself :) .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users