#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Farming, Trucks, Sprint Car Racing, NASCAR

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

I recently was given a 25-06 by a family member. Everybody I have talked to has pretty good things to say about these gun Just wondering what all of you thought? All comments opinions and criticisms are welcome. Im going to be hunting with it this weekend. I have always hunted with a 30-06, and with the research that I have done the 25-06 is the same casing just necked down a little bit for the smaller caliber. And also the area I am hunting is a lead free zone so if any of you had any recommendations on what copper rounds you are using or know that are good I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks to all
Hell Ya Im American!

#2 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

25-06 is a great round for Deer. You will love it, and I suspect your 30-06 will see less time in the field as a result haha

Lead Free ammo choices are out there. You will just have to try some out to see what your rifle likes. Doesnt matter what works for someone else, every rifle is different.

http://www.midwayusa...-free-box-of-20
http://www.midwayusa...-tail-box-of-20
http://www.midwayusa...-free-box-of-20
Hic Ego Statio

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

Just wondering what all of you thought?

I think you have one hexx of a nice family member. And Congrats on getting such a fine caliber & assume (fine) rifle.

Ditto what Dave said above. You will likely find yourself leaving the ole (30) / 06 in the safe. The 25/06 is an excellent round that I owned at least 2 rifles in, if memory serves me right.

As far as bullet choices go, and from the 3 mentioned above, I personally would try the bottom one(Nosler) first and work up.

Good Luck

#4 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

Ya, definitely excited to get out there and use this one. Asside from being a good caliber its also a very beautiful gun with minimal rounds put through it. I consider myself a lucky man!
Hell Ya Im American!

#5 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

Look forward to a report on the new gun. Also some pic's of it. You did not mention make and modle either. Nosey people like to know.

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

If you don't handload already, start. The .25-06 is a true handloaders cartridge. You can buy factory loads for it to do whatever you need it to do but with they few rifles I've played with, I have found it to be a cartridge that can be very particular about what loads it likes......and you just haven't lived until you've seen what a 75 grain v-max bullet will do to varmints. Lol!
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

You did not mention make and modle either. Nosey people like to know.

:hellohello9il: Like me! I kept thinking that all the way through reading the posts :lol:

......and you just haven't lived until you've seen what a 75 grain v-max bullet will do to varmints. Lol!

If it's anything like the 75gr V-max out of the .243, you better take a shovel, a sifter, a trash bag, and lots of rags :rofl2:

#8 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

Great Caliber.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#9 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

I have one and if you want some load data and test results for accuracy and group size. I have quite a bit of it. I do not have any non-lead data. I suggest the Barnes or Hornady bullets as they can be pushed faster than the Nosler non-lead. I like nosler bullets but do not understand why they make their bullet without the grooves so they can be pushed faster. With the non-lead bullets they work better the faster you push them. They also act like a bullet 30% heavier than they are. I suggest the 80gr Barnes TTSX. The tipped one as they open faster than the non-tipped ones according to Barnes

#10 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

I have one and if you want some load data and test results for accuracy and group size. I have quite a bit of it. I do not have any non-lead data. I suggest the Barnes or Hornady bullets as they can be pushed faster than the Nosler non-lead. I like nosler bullets but do not understand why they make their bullet without the grooves so they can be pushed faster. With the non-lead bullets they work better the faster you push them. They also act like a bullet 30% heavier than they are. I suggest the 80gr Barnes TTSX. The tipped one as they open faster than the non-tipped ones according to Barnes

Thanks for your input. I would like to see the data if I could please that would be pretty interesting. And ya the rounds i just bought were the barnes rounds. Not sure of the grain but the guy down at the local gun store had the same opinion that you did.

If you don't handload already, start. The .25-06 is a true handloaders cartridge. You can buy factory loads for it to do whatever you need it to do but with they few rifles I've played with, I have found it to be a cartridge that can be very particular about what loads it likes......and you just haven't lived until you've seen what a 75 grain v-max bullet will do to varmints. Lol!

I have actually been looking into reloading myself. I just gotta get more firmiliar with it. But for now I got the Barnes rounds like driverhunter had suggested in the other post.
Hell Ya Im American!

#11 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

Pm me your email address and I will scan and send the info.

#12 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Real awfull caliber worthles give me the rifle so you won't have to suffer trying to get it to shoot. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: .
thats a great caliber. :good:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#13 sxshooter

sxshooter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • Interests:sxs smallbore shotguns .410 in particular, bird dogs, aviation, BBQ, grilling, photography, red wines, craft beers

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

TD is right. Awful. :crazy:

Since you have a 30-06, you might wanna consider standardizing your brass to one brand for both rifles...if you reload. You can make 25-06 brass from 30-06 brass but you may want to keep to factory headstamped 25-06 brass to keep mistakes to a minimum.
It's not about how many, it's about how.
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or gun

Maintain a balance of nature, use a beautiful gun when shooting a beautiful bird

#14 bretmoua

bretmoua

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

That's a nice rifle. I agree with the good things everyone has been saying so far.

#15 modoc squeek shooter

modoc squeek shooter

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, guns, and saddles,
    self appointed GURU of squeek shooting in Modoc County

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

I had a 25 06, great rifle, I traded it off, it was a custom rifle . I traded it only because it wasn't a Remington. I would probably buy another if it was the right make lol. ED

#16 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

Mine is a Model 700 Remington.
Hell Ya Im American!

#17 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

I traded it only because it wasn't a Remington.

Mine is a Model 700 Remington.

Beautiful, just beautiful... I always love it when you guys play such beautiful music :wub: :wub:

#18 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

OP---I sent the load data today.

#19 rustygun

rustygun

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:All types of hunting, but mostley small game, varmints and predators. X-Military (Army) 20 years. Been away from the hunting game for almost 22 years

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

looking forward to a range report and Frank would love a pic of it (me too).

#20 homeslice

homeslice

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

I've got a Winchester model 70 with custom stock in 25-06 and absolutely love it! I think you will grow quite fond of your new family member

#21 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

Got a marlin xl7 in 25-06 awesome gun!
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!