11 replies to this topic

#1 jrbdad

jrbdad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

Guys from San Diego were are you taking your stuff for processing? Have spoken to Bishers and they sound good?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,025 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

They have two locations but don't list game processing.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 jrbdad

jrbdad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

when I talked to the guys in Ramona they sounded like they do alot of wild game. would hate to make a mistake though... Have to learn to do my own?

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,025 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

Lots of good do it yourself butchering videos on the web.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

I got tired of paying hundreds of dollars to Bishers to butcher my game so I did like Shooter John said, bought some videos and books. I've been doing my own butchering for the last 6 years. I find it rewarding to do it myself. Bishers has been butchering game for a long time so they know what they're doing. Just make sure your animal has no hide or hair on it.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#6 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

Gut it Out and Hang itPrint this out and laminate it - I bring it with me on deer hunts to help refresh my memory on the butchering steps and what to do since I'm only successful once a decade or so...No way I would ever pay to have it done when I can do a much better job myself. Remember, a butcher is going to make quick work of it and waste alot of scrap for jerky or sausage because he won't take the time to remove it.I copied it, corrected the spelling and added a neck processing piece to the end from an excellent thread that was running on Archery Talk 5-6 years ago - so I cant take any credit for the excellent pictures or layout.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#7 Rooster707

Rooster707

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

Bishers in ramona say they do alot of wild game, personally i dont like to pay for that sort of thing. Processing your own animal isnt as hard as it sounds and its way more rewarding. Theres books, videos and youtube links showing you how to do all this. I process ALL of my wild AND domestic game including my beef. What are you having processed?

#8 jrbdad

jrbdad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

Were hoping to have a pig or two next month. Going to try and take Doug's class.

#9 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Used to do it back in Idaho - where/how do you guys handle the hanging time? We used to do at least a week, but we had a big shed and teh temperatures were low enough after deer season (although not so much even there anymore).

#10 MosesNagant

MosesNagant

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Backpacking, Survival skills, Homesteading

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

Were hoping to have a pig or two next month. Going to try and take Doug's class.

Dougs class????? Info Please!!!!!

#11 Bowhunter_619

Bowhunter_619

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing the great outdoors.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Dougs class????? Info Please!!!!!

here you go... I have heard great things from this operation. http://www.dougswild...adventures.com/

#12 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,570 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

That was a good tutorial. I was suprised that they mentioned the tailgate of the truck. I have a piece of plywood with a smoothe finish that is cut for my tailgate. I have butchered many fish, deer, and a few Antilope on the tailgate. I like it because it is easy on my back, it is also easy to clean, and you can hose it off. I did not see anything about the heart and liver, so I assumed that he already ate it, with onions. One other thought that was not covered, was having several different types of sharp knives, and a good sharpener. To keep fly's off of your meat, use cayenne pepper, or pepper spray. (cautiously) and cool the meat asap after the kill.
Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users