• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:19 AM

Any scope will work on a PCP airgun. There is NO recoil.I like mildots myself especially with airguns to compensate for their trajectories.

#32 Handy Smurf

Handy Smurf

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Air gunsmithing, custom scope mounts, pest control hunting, quail hunting, reloading sailing, alpine skiing, and inventing.

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:05 AM

My bench guns all have standard duplex of Fine duplex cross hairs.. My hunting guns all have mil dot .. I really do like using the mil dot when hunting because of the different aiming points. I have another dumb question for you guys (so much to know in a new hobby).. Do I have to use an "air gun" scope for the Marauder or can I use any optic? Does it get the same vibration as my R9 Gold Finger?

No, You don't need an airgun scope for your Marauder. It doesn't have the punishing recoil of a spring gun.

#33 Handy Smurf

Handy Smurf

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Air gunsmithing, custom scope mounts, pest control hunting, quail hunting, reloading sailing, alpine skiing, and inventing.

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:17 AM

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Marauder (no pun).. I have read some reviews on Pyramyd Air that the .25 cal is more accurate than the .22 cal? Can anyone guide me in the right diection? The gun will be used for hunting small game and punching holes in paper. Thanks!

I love my Marauder in .22, but I wanted something that would reach out a little farther... so I bought a Marauder in .177 and converted it to .20 (5mm). If I were you, I would get the .22 Mrod. It is flatter shooting than the .25, and will provide a longer point blank range.

#34 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:58 AM

That is great news on the optics.. I have a few nice pieces of glass lying around that will look real good on that gun! I'm going to order the .22 and all the fill adapters plus the rings today... I'm so excited! Varmints BEWARE!!!

#35 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:03 PM

i was one if tim's first m-rod sales the day he got them in last year. i have the .22i guess .25 would be cool but as stated .22 has a larger pellet selection. they are pellet picky.mine only groups with beeman ammo. with only 1.5 turns out on the velocity adjuster-nothing elsei'm hitting 30 fpe/kodiaks at only 1800 psi.throwing crow mags at 28 fpe is entertaining on rodents. they launch. :roflmao3[1]:

#36 JimC

JimC

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting air rifles, ground squirrels and ducks

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:30 PM

That is great news on the optics.. I have a few nice pieces of glass lying around that will look real good on that gun! I'm going to order the .22 and all the fill adapters plus the rings today... I'm so excited! Varmints BEWARE!!!

The biggest issue with scoping an air rifle is how close the scope will focus. There are many great scopes out there that will not focus below 25-50yds which is unacceptable for an air rifle. You ideally want a scope that will focus down to about 10 yards, 15 yds is my minimum acceptible distance. This information is often not readily available and you need to be careful when ordering over the internet as you may end up with a scope that won't focus at the distances you need (don't ask me how I know). Ideally you want one with a parallax adjustment, either adjustible objective or side focus, that will allow you to fine tune the focus when shooting targets. There are lot of good inexpensive scopes that will work very well on an air rifle and some very expensive ones that won't. Don't skimp on power either. It may sound like overkill to put a 6x20 scope on an air rifle but I find it very valuable. The high power comes in handy when you are trying to find the eyeball of a ground squirrel in a patch of tall weeds at 40 yds. Jim in Sacramento

#37 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:15 PM

Do you have hpa tanks or an airgun pump? Gotta have an air source identified.

#38 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:38 AM

Good advice Jim re scopes...I started out using Centerpoint 4-16x 40 mil dot AO ($69 at Walmart) and they focus down to 10 yards...(Still on my 850 Co2 .177)..then tried the Barska Varmit 6-24 x 42 AO mil dot ($75 at Optics Planet)..but it on't focus down less than 25 yards...but...I still use it on my Discovery .22 and it works fine shooting squirrels out to 70+ yards...For both my FT and Benchrest rifles,I'm using Hawke 30mm 6-24x50 SF Mil Dots...these scopes focus down to 10 yards and more importantly, have a narrow depth of field for ranging targets in Field target..also comes with side focus.....great for hunting as well...$239 at PA...Hawke 6-24 on my Dominator HPA .22 (This is my primary 50 yard benchrest rifle)Posted ImageBarska Varmit 6-24 ...also used it for 50 yard benchrest...have dropped squirrels out to 70+ yards..Posted ImageCenterPoint 4-16...very good for hunting out to 50 yards..still using it on my 850 .177 CO2 rifle...Posted Image

#39 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:29 AM

Do you have hpa tanks or an airgun pump? Gotta have an air source identified.

No tanks yet, however a good friend of mine has a few scuba tanks lying around.. He said I was welcome to one??

#40 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:58 AM

You have got some cool toys as well!! I have a Leupolds hanging around but I'm not sure they will go down to 10 yards.. I will take a look at the Hawke when I'm ready.. Now if I only knew where I could find one,,,, :smiley_green_with_envy: :smiley-outta-here:

#41 Marino

Marino

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:19 AM

Does Walmart have a decent milsdot scope for targets out to 100-125 yards? I don't have to deal with recoil. Something less than $100 preferably.

#42 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:33 AM

No tanks yet, however a good friend of mine has a few scuba tanks lying around.. He said I was welcome to one??

The price is right but you may have to get a Hydro test. SCBA tanks have a DOT mandated life of 15 years and require a hydro test every 5 years, don't know about SCUBA. It is my understanding that SCUBA tanks are limited to 3000 psi. The Marauder fill is 3000 psi max. If you want to fill the Marauder to 3000 psi you will need to go to SCBA tanks, with a capacity of 4500 psi, at some point. Filling the Marauder to say, 2500 psi and shooting it that way to start is perfectly acceptable but, you won't have max velocity and number of shots per fill.

#43 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:55 AM

This is great info! Thank you very much! Where is the best place to pick up a SCBA tank?

#44 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

I use Airhog tanks. They fill to 4500psi. I get them filled at my local Sports Chalet as it does 4500psi refills for $5.Posted Image

#45 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

John, What model is that?? They have several.. How many times can you refill your gun with these tanks? Man, this hobby is adding up! :smiley_green_with_envy:

#46 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:50 PM

Don't know of a model Rick but mine are 88 cubic feet. As for how many fills you get from them I have never counted. Maybe you could ask VarmintAir Cliff. I'm sure he has a fill number in his head. The problem and reason i don't have a number is I'm always topping them off. So I never run it all the way down to where I notice a performance difference.

#47 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:23 PM

Here is another scba tank option. Joe's Air Tanks You'll find him mentioned on the Yellow Forum and other places. Scanning his web page is kind of an air tank primer. Notice he is up front about when the tank was made (Remember they're only legal for 15 years.) and he hydros the tanks. If you plan on filling at a SCUBA shop you may need the following.TankHose & gauge assemblyDIN300 (SCUBA) to Hand Tight Stainless Steel SCBA FittingHe doesn't take credit cards. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#48 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:27 AM

You have got some cool toys as well!! I have a Leupolds hanging around but I'm not sure they will go down to 10 yards.. I will take a look at the Hawke when I'm ready.. Now if I only knew where I could find one,,,, :pirashoot: :good:

Right here via this forum...http://www.shop.redh...B1.qscstrfrnt04

#49 DownRangeImpact

DownRangeImpact

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

I'd go for the .25. Accurate and better for 'Coon/Possum sized game. And the selection of ammo is improving. Also with the proper .25 pellet bucks the wind better, and has more fpe on your distant shots. Also squirrels are the toughest most stubborn little devils I"ve ever shot. The .25 hits harder and punches a bigger hole/larger wound cavity.

Possum?C'mon now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users