#1 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:21 PM

I finally found the history and origin of my Walther P-38. Thanks to Orv Reichert at P-38 Collectors Forum. Great sight for info on these gun. If you own one, this is the place to be for reference. Orv also registered my gun as part of his continuing work on cataloging and documenting of P-38 in existence.My gun turned out to be, as collectors would label it, a shooter, since it has been re-blued and polished even though all the parts serial number matched. My gun is worth between 400 to 500 dollars. It was made at Carl Walther's Zella Mehlis Factory in Thuringia, Germany in 1942 - at the height of World War II... one of the 120,000 P-38 made that year for the Nazi war machine. The gun is in excellent shape and shoots good with any 9MM round I feed on it. My piece of history and it wont be sold. Regards,RommelPosted ImagePosted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,792 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:29 PM

Very nice. If I had it it wouldn't be for sale either.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:09 PM

I thought you were talking about the G.I. Can Opener... :signgreatreport3kg:
John in Tulare, Ca

#4 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

Seriously John, is there a P-38 GI can opener? :signgreatreport3kg: I know there a P-38 Airforce fighter bomber in world war II called the Lightning. :blush:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:36 PM

Nice piece! The first centerfire pistol I ever fired was a P-38. They're great weapons. Yeah, there actually is a govt' issue P-38 can opener. They're those little folding things that fit on a keychain.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:17 PM

Seriously John, is there a P-38 GI can opener? :signlol2iu: I know there a P-38 Airforce fighter bomber in world war II called the Lightning. :blush:

You bet, and I have 2 different sizes also.Posted Image
John in Tulare, Ca

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:24 PM

That's a nice piece and has some interesting behind it!

#8 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:46 PM

That's a nice piece and has some interesting behind it!

The pistol or the can opener Heath? :smiley-funny-post-sign:
John in Tulare, Ca

#9 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:56 PM

I'm still kicking myself for selling mine.Sold it to have running money:pay bills,groceries,etc.Made in 1942,with a matching serial on the magazine.VERY good and accurate at 25 yards.In the early 70's,had a chance to check out a P-08 Lugar.The insurance agent got it in WW2.Unfired ! Still had grease in the barrel.With the holster.
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#10 Jamesjeff44

Jamesjeff44

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

I love my walther p38. Looks like a g.i. Bring back that was found under 6 ft of snow at stalingrad. No blue left just really silvery. No import marks and made in 44. After spending bout an hour polishing the ramp, it now perfectly feeds hollow points as wll as FMJ rounds. All original annd I'm sure it has seen some serious action. I got a big jack with it that was sitting next to a gate that my brother was in the process of opening for us to drive through. Nothing like getting a critter with your hogleg

#11 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

In the early 60s My grandfather had a hardware store, And used to sell P38s for $35. He sold cases of them. The magazines were 2 for a dollar. And cases of surplus ammo. I wish I still had one. DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users