7 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:19 PM

Well I built a electronic caller from Al's plans its real simple mp3 mini amp and PA horn. I went out to day and tried it out sounded real good. It was almost dark so i played coyote howls trying too get a dog to vocalize back then i changes too rabbit distress before I new it I heard a big screech and I saw a big owl in a death dive at my head all I could say was HEY and he swooped up WOW that scared the dog poop out of me.............then again it was cool too. has anyone had that happen before?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:54 AM

Death from above! :) Oh that the Airborne motto. :) I sure have and it can be surprising to say the least. I had a golden eagle land next to a bush my FoxPro was hidden in. Owls really seem to be drawn in along with hawk, crows and magpies. Everybody's looking for a free meal. ;)

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:51 PM

Yeah, me too, LOTS of times...Hawks, Ravens, Owls etc... I think the owls concern &/or have scared me the most... They can make a LOUD racket, look HUGE, especially when in your face & seem to come the closest of all... Almost as if they're blind as a bat and have to get close to see what you are. How they ever spot small mice from far distances, I'll never know. LOLGuess an army helmet would not be a bad idea sometimesFrank

#4 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:26 PM

Those magpies are the worst but a good decoy. Up in the northern part of California I would make stands and you would have 7 or 8 + magpies all over the tree I was under so much noise you hear whats going on.

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:33 PM

Hey slayer where have you been........anyway I won't give up I will keep on calling I am thinking the best time will be in the winter less food around.I saw one too day nice dog had no gun then he ran in the corn feild ........ ;)

#6 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:40 PM

Hey don't give up man the pups are getting bigger and are out on there own. They are dumb and looking for a easy meal just keep going out there and more you are out in the field the better chance you got of busting one.

#7 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:50 PM

I am always in the Field don't forget I live on a daiyfarm.................... ;) well not all the time. when I do see them I don't have a gun . thanks for the encouragement. slayer

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:17 AM

Those magpies are the worst but a good decoy.

I have FoxPro's magpie distress on my caller. My next door neighbor was having a BBQ one evening with guests and I couldn't help using the magpie call to invite a few uninvited guests. We have lots of magpies that fly over at night on their way to roost. So I put the caller out on the opposite side of the house and hit the magpie distress. :D The magpies start descending into the surrounding trees and squawking like nothing you've ever heard. :o I didn't really think they would stay because of the people around their pool but they sure did. We must have had a hundred or more magpies and some crows in the trees and I'm sure they thought it was Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds! :rolleyes: After a few minutes my wife made me turn off the caller. ;) But it was sure fun to tease the neighbors. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users