9 replies to this topic

#1 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:39 AM

Have a lil dilema.... (Too many choices) :smiley-outta-here: Which in you opinion is the better round for the same price. Shooting Bushmaster PredatorFederal 5.56 55gr FMJAmerican Eagle 223 55gr FMJSpeer Lawman Military 5.56 55gr FMJSpeer Lawman Military 5.56 62gr FMJThank you in advance for your opinion, and if you dont mind stating whyFyrewil

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,324 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:43 AM

May we ask what your intended purpose of the rounds would be? None of them are much good at punching paper and you can't hunt with FMJ rounds.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

May we ask what your intended purpose of the rounds would be? None of them are much good at punching paper and you can't hunt with FMJ rounds.

NV Shooting

#4 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

NV Shooting

Coyote/ Rabbits, squeeks

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,324 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

You are just going to wound or cripple any animal you shoot with a FMJ bullet. I honestly couldn't in good faith recommend any of that ammo when there are so many other good choices.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:03 AM

You are just going to wound or cripple any animal you shoot with a FMJ bullet. I honestly couldn't in good faith recommend any of that ammo when there are so many other good choices.

PM sent

#7 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:48 AM

+1 to this John. If you're going to shoot an animal its your responsibility to do it in a way that its going to die immediately or close to it. Even with the ammo I use (ballistic tip, hollow point, etc.) if I hit a squirrel and see it flopping around I don't have a problem with a follow up to finish the job. FMJ's might work some of the time but I can remeber shooting a Jack Rabbit a few years ago with an FMJ and it passed clean through the rear and it ran (not fast) away. That aint right. A vmax or hollow point would have expanded and probably kept it there for a follow up if not killing it immediately.
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#8 Ken43

Ken43

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:09 PM

I shoot 52 gr. hollowpoints out of my .223 it does a great job.

#9 macscal

macscal

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

Stay away from the FMJ for any type of hunting. Also barrel twist rate makes a huge difference......A little more info will help.

#10 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:26 AM

for 3 dollars more per box get the hollow points
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users