• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

Today while duck hunting in a down pour my uncles Super Black Eagle was suffering from a really bad case of "the benelli click" and numerous jams so I just had to give him a hard time about it. Well, I should've kept my big mouth shut. When I got home I figured that since I hadn't cleaned it in a few months anyway, I should tear it down to wipe out all the rain water. Then I noticed that the spring in my gas piston is broken in at least three places! There are two fresh breaks, one that looks fairly old, and I think there may be even another break in there that I cant see very well. I'm surprised it still functioned with no failures. Hopefully Browning will send me a new piston quickly so I can put my gun back to work.Posted ImageStuff like this really makes a guy think about going back to shooting a pump!
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#2 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:19 PM

Bummer about the gun. Those 3 and 3 1/2" shells are hard on those auto loaders. I haven't had any trouble with my Maxus so far, but I only shoot 2 3/4" shells. Those new hyper Rem. shot shells are really hard on your gun, ears, and shoulder.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#3 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:45 AM

I shoot a Super Black Eagle too. I had problems with mine when it was brand new, first year of shooting it. I took it all the way apart and put a bunch of graphite grease on the long spring that is in the butt stock. I just do that once a year now. Really made a big difference, it never malfunctions any more. I had friends that sold there black eagles and told me too also. Raith is wishing he would have kept his after seeing how mine shoots now. He got a winchester x-2 that is giving him fits. I been trying to buy it from him. I think it needs a new firing pin spring. He is shooting a Beretta now and loves it. Any ways that long spring in the butt stock is often over looked when cleaning Benelli's, Browning Humpbacks also have a long spring in the butt stock that is over looked when cleaning. People should store these shotguns barrel down and let the water run out of these springs after being in real bad weather. Hope you get yours up and running soon.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#4 Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:28 AM

Pretty common problem with the Maxus. Browning has a updated spring assy.---------kevin---------

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:15 PM

When I called them they said they didn't have any updated parts for the maxus' gas system, just one spring for the trigger that some folks have had a problem with and it wasn't really an updated spring, just a replacement.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:38 AM

should have bought a beretta :sport037fn4:

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:23 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Your Beretta will probably last longer than my Browning.....because your shotgun only leaves the gun safe two or three times a year. :rofl2:

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:27 PM

I don't have a gun safe........ :rofl2:

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

I don't have a gun safe........ :lol:

I know that, I just didn't think you'd want everybody on the internet to know it too. :roflmao3[1]: :good:

#10 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:03 PM

I avoided reading this thread because I wasn't sure what your "Maxus" was, much less how you might break it. I had an idea, however and it sure wasn't pretty. Finally had to check and, man, was I wrong! Glad to see that it has nothing to do with that condition the TV announcer says you should see your doctor about if it lasts more than four hours. :roflmao3[1]:
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#11 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

No, my shotgun is a Maxus. That thing you're talking about, I call him Magnus. :roflmao3[1]:

#12 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:27 PM

:roflmao3[1]:

No, my shotgun is a Maxus. That thing you're talking about, I call him Magnus. :good:

"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

Did you send for the new spring yet.Has the geese came in yet. I saw a few flocks heading that way last week.

#14 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

Did you send for the new spring yet.Has the geese came in yet. I saw a few flocks heading that way last week.

Yeah, my new spring showed up today. I ordered an aftermarket spring because after doing some research it seems that the original Browning and Winchester piston springs are to hard and more than a few guys have had problems with them. I checked the one in my Silver Hunter and it was also broken so I got a new one for it too. Posted ImageHere are both of the broken springs from my Maxus and my Silver Hunter.Any auto will eventually give you some kind of problem. Benellis have been known to break inertia springs from time to time, Remingtons blow o-rings, and last week my uncles new duck hunting partner had the trigger group in his Beretta break after firing a couple of those new Remington Hypersteel loads. You just never know what's going to happen with these automatic contraptions when you push them hard.

#15 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:48 AM

I got my new springs installed so if the ducks are willing to cooperate with me tomorrow I'll pound some 3.5 inch loads thru it.

#16 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

I hope you guys stayed dry it rained tell late this morning.

#17 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Calling predators and building predator calls

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:04 AM

"Glad to see that it has nothing to do with that condition the TV announcer says you should see your doctor about if it lasts more than four hours."-----------------------------------------------------What would a man do with the other 3 hours and 58 minutes?

#18 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:10 AM

Matt Where did you get the aftermarket spring? I haven't had any problem with my Maxus but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have a spare. My old Gold Hunter (One of the first ones out) has never given me a problem either.

#19 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

Got the spring from here......... http://gas-piston-springs.com/And I made the tools to swap out the spring if you ever want to borrow them.

#20 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the link. Let them come in!!!

#21 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

....... Let them come in!!!

I don't quite follow buzz. :WTF_1:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users