donkey12

hearing protection

43 posts in this topic

Im curious how many of us wear hearing protection when hunting.I always wear them at the range,but not when hunting.Really had my bell rung the other day and am wondering about some of the electronic muffs.Anybody have them and what is a good brand.

I use the custom made silicone earplugs. They are easy to wear and can be manipulated easily to allow more sound in or keep it out.

WHAT WAS THAT YOU ASKED?DB

I use plugs while shooting squirrel ect muffs while target shooting. And one plug in the ear thats away from the rifle while coyote hunting or deer. Thats the one that gets the blast. I think an elictric gadget in both ears would be best.Theres nothing sissy abought protecting your hearing.

I don't wear any they are to uncomfortable..(I SHOULD) I would rather be able to hear everything when i am in the field. I wear ear plugs at the range.

Nope....Walt

I have a set of pro-ears, they are nice. I don't wear mine much when hunting except for dove or shooting ground squirrels. It allows you to hear stuff, but at least for me I have trouble telling which direction the sound is coming from, so I don't use them much when hunting.

I have a set of pro-ears....... It allows you to hear stuff, but at least for me I have trouble telling which direction the sound is coming from
Same problem here, I just can't tell what direction the sound is coming from. I do wear mine at night, however. I am going to try them this fall in my deer stand and see how I do with them.

Same problem here, I just can't tell what direction the sound is coming from. I do wear mine at night, however. I am going to try them this fall in my deer stand and see how I do with them.
At least your ears will stay warm.

Targets and squirrels, I wear them, not all the time when coyote hunting though. Like others posted, I like to hear when in the Field. If I get one shot a Coyote, thats usually all I will shoot, unless I switch to squirrels where the fun and shooting comes fast. I always have some with me.

Huh??? I should have worn when I was younger. I wear them now all the time but the ringing in the ears never stops.

That's one of the nagging things (besides wives and mother-in-laws):the ringinggoes on for 24-7-365.Now,miss some words in conversations.Or,I don't hear it at all.Gets a little embarassing,to ask 2 or 3 times what they said.

I know I posted it somewhere in this forum before but I use those darned expensive digital electronic ear plugs from Walker Game ears. I sometime shoot rifles that have muzzle breaks on them. If you've shot one, you know what kind of noise they make. My left ear started this ringing thing which tells me I've got trouble in the future so I went ahead and invested in a set. Although they are expensive (depends on where you get them from), they are truly worth it. They kill the sounds above 90db but they also work as an amplifier which is nice for listening to them coming in from a long ways. Only problem I've had with them so far is the desert winds. I usually turn the amplifier side down to normal level and they seem to work okay then. There are many makers out there now. My hunting partner who swore he would never wear ear plugs in the field, just bought those new ones from Cabela's called Sport ears (also digital) for about $900 and he likes them alot. These hearing protectors seem like a lot of money until you put a value on your hearing. Better to protect them now or pay for it later when it's too late and you can't hear........WHAT DID YOU SAY wedgie[1].gif

Yes I did look over my shoulder quickly Heath. I didn't want to lose more of my hearing than i already have. I too wish I'd worn my hearing protection when I was younger. I also have the persistent ringing in my ears and can't hear certain sounds. When people say listen to that I often can't hear what they're talking about. I think reloading probably wasn't a good thing for me at a young age. Because i shot way more than I probably should have and am paying for it now.

My ringing, especially in the right ear, I think is from listening to high pitch tones in trouble testing equipment. Sure some from shooting without plugs, from back in the days when I shot game birds. I still now use the Caldwell E-85's which are cheap, but still work quite well.

I carried one now, eversince I lose the hearing on my right ear, after the surgery, to remove the tumor deep inside my ear.

Fakewee mentioned that he now wears the electronic hearing protectors. Mentions that they can cost $900. Seems to be a lot? Well, let me tell you what it cost to not be able to hear. I wear hearing aids full time. You think the wind is bad on those when hunting, try all the time! And you think the $900 is expensive, try buying some hearing aids. The two that I wear, are good ones, but not the best. Middle of the road type electronic aids, with a little computer in each one. Are they expensive? Try $5000. Yep, $5000, not a typo. So folks, as the old ad says, you can pay the man now or pay him later. And if you think that only one shot won't don't any damage you are totally wrong. You are just destroying your hearing a bit slower, but doing it nevertheless. I wear the Peltor electronic muff when I shoot. Period. All the time. Just do it folks. Believe me when I say, "It ain't fun being deaf!"

Loud noise, whether gunfire, industrial noise or music concerts will damage your hearing. If you don't want to be able to hear properly, don't wear hearing protection when around loud noise. It's your choice. Oh, most medical plans don't cover hearing aids.Oh yeah, wind noise while riding a motor cycle will damage your hearing also. :horse apples:

Just bought a set of those Caldwell ones on EBay for $30. Have to see how they do. Those other ones are just so highly priced! I know hearing is precious, but if it isn't affordable (let alone the cost of lead free ammo), it doesn't do me any good!Darren