BullsEye

Anybody recommend a hand crank meat grinder?

I am looking for something around 40 dollars or so nothing to fancy but I would like it to also stuff sausage and maybe do 3 to 5 pounds at a time but I will probably be doing 1 to 2 pounds unless I get real lucky this season. :signgreatreport3kg:

My advice?? get an electric one.. I got a hand crank one at walmart on a clearance rack for like 10.00.. I used it ONE time and now am going to get an electric before next elk season.. That hand crank thing is a POS and KILLS your arms....

Moe    0

I use an attachment for my Kitchen Aid standing mixer. I have the sausage stuffer, too. Whenever I'm looking for this kind of stuff I go to Ebay or my local Goodwill store. This is the kind of thing people buy and then quickly tire of. I got mine for making goose sausage but never used it for that. We got tired of buying hamburger with gristle, arteries or pieces of bone in it so I often make my own hamburger.

I'm with Moe my wife has two of Kitchen Aid's biggest mixers and all of their attachments. It works great. But I do have a 60+ years old hand cranked model that can grind just about anything.

I picked up a hand crank job and added a pulley and a 1/4 or 1/2 horse electric motor. It's a home made job but we have ground as much as 40-50 pounds of meat with it between all my family members who hunt.Oh, and hand crank grinders are MURDER on your arm, wrist and hand.

I got my hand crank grinder from Tractor supply, alot cheaper than cabelas, as I recall. Its got a pulley wheel on it in case you're really handy and want to rig up a motor. I've used it a handful of times, just for about 10 Lbs at a time. Its work but who cares. I don't mind breaking a sweat once in awhile. My main problem has always been securing the beast to a clean work surface. My makeshift setup involves screwing it down to the backside of a wood cutting board then clamping the board onto the corner of the kitchen table. However, it moves around on me.My wife has the kitchenaid monster mixer that just sits there taking up space on the counter - I should get the grinder adaptor and sell you my hand crank for - you guessed it - $40!!! Its a win win! :roflmao3[1]:

Well Guys I just bought an Electric Meat grinder...Aint she Purdy ;)http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...970_36989_36989I also got this book for sausage making and made some Pork Sausicon Sec aka French Salami with the boar I got in Hawaii. It came out awesome!!! The second batch I over dried unfortunately =( Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curinghttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/03...4805&sr=8-1

I have the Northern Tool one tha Bullseyeis showing. I grind roughly 60 lbs of chicken parts for my dogs every month. They do not reccomend putting bones through but it can take that kind of abuse. My 2 cents.

Thats good to know! ;) I used another brand but I forgot what it was called. I wanted to try something a little different and I have heard great reviews about this grinder. Glad yours works great! I am excited about processing all my meat at home. The butchers I have met dont take direction well so I can prepare things just how I like it.

Well I made some chorizzo out of some wild pork,Venison and some sheep. I didnt add any fat so it was nice and lean and spicy just how I like it!!! I am really enjoying the grinder. I also put some Italian plums through it and boiled them down with some sugar made some decent marmalade. I learned that you should never use a wooden spoon when stirring marmalade. My plum Marmalade tastes great except for the hint of wooden spatula :signs165xk:

Last year we made a bunch of duck summer sausage. We used my old hand grinder and did about 20 lbs in two seperate batches. The hand grinder is a PIA and so is stuffing by hand.This weekend we made 30 lbs of venison summer sausage in one batch using the Kitchen Aid mixer with the meat grinder sausage stuffer attachments. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The Kitchen Aid is easy to clean up, much quicker, and no screwing around feeding a hand stuffer with a spoon or jumping on the handle to supply stuffing power and then leaving half the material in the stuffer.In the past we used to only grind once because of all the work it was. That left the sausage rather course. Now we grind three times and it really makes a superior product. Some things are just better off not done the old way.Dan

I don't know about cheap hand crank meat grinders, but my family is polish, and every year we make polish sausage in the traditional way using a hand crank meat grinder. It has never been as hard some people make it out to be. Of course, we are using a hand crank meat grinder that is at least 50 years old and is made of solid cast iron. This thing is tough. I cant speak about the cheap ones.