wannakillacoyote

How are you guys holstering your sidearm when Coyote hunting?

The mountain lion/handgun response, I hike in the forest 40miles per week. I was on a trail, very quiet, a dog came from behind me and hit me in the back of the legs.... instant heart attack...Never heard it coming!........If it was a Mtn Lion....my family would reading about it.........not me telling them. That being said, I always carry something sharp, with bullits, or sprays nasty stuff.

Update: I got my OD green Blackhaek Serpa Tactical holster Today. Over all Quality is good. It allows access to your front and rear pockets. All straps are elastic to some degree and there are clips or bands to secure access strap with. The holster fits my body then any other tactical holster I have ever tried. Now this is a 220/226/228/229 Right handed holster. I have a pre 94 AW ban Sig P229 .40S&W and a Sig p220st-r (Rail) .45ACP. The fit on the p229 is a little loose with a very small amount of play. It does secure and easy to holster and draw.The fit on the p220 is a tight. It takes a little effort and force to Holster and draw it. IF YOU DO NOT HEAR THE CLICK IT IS NOT LOCKED IN. this was a little disappointing as I primarily purchased this for my p220, however it is not unusable and may work better with some practice and break in time. I'm not sure if it is the Trigger guard, The rail, or some other area of the pistol that causes the tightness. There does seem to be a spot on the outside of the holster for your finger to use as an assist getting the pistol in and locking it. Most safariland SSIII leather holsters I have used in the past where harder at first.One thing the release on the holster is going to take some time getting use to, as I found myself going for the thumb release to draw.This is not a field report but a first impression I'm taking the holster out this weekend to see how well it preforms.

Yep it's going to need break in time for my 220. It's also going to take some getting use to as I keep looking for the thumb snap instead of the side release. The 220 and this holster May require some blow dryer time to get it to fit correctly. Over all it's a darn good holster. keep the top strap snug and the lower strap a little loose and it should not ride down on you much.Pro's: one of the best fitting tactical holsters I've ever had. Fits the sig 220/226/228/229Optional attachments. Can change the holster out with another (say a m1911) without repurchasing the base.Very Very Flexible platform.even as level 2 retention holster the serpa lock gives it very good retention however this was meant for hunting not duty use self defense against gang bangers.Made in the U.S.A.Con's 228/229 fit a little loose 226 has a tight fit and the 220 has a very tight fit requiring break in and/or blowdryer time. If you don't have several different sigs You may want to get on specifically for your model.heavier then a typical tactical holster specially if you add attachable options.as with all major holster changes it takes time to get used to.Firearms_20091016_000.jpgFirearms_20091016_006.jpgFirearms_20091016_004.jpgFirearms_20091016_005.jpg

Good report - I have this same holster on the way for my P220, along with the Serpa Platform for my Eberlestock X1 pack. That way I can move the holster from the thigh to the pack depending on what I'm doing (Oregon allows pistol carry during bowhunting season). I may end up just keeping it on the pack though - the past couple of times I went out for varmints, I just kept my pack on since its so comfortable - and hydration is right there... I'll post up my experiences when I get mine.

I say that you just either stick it in your pocket or in the small of your back in your pants........:horse apples: I carry mine in a drop thigh holster with a pistol belt. I also have a drop platform for the other leg to balance out the load. I have my knife, leatherman and extra magazines on that platform. Also have my blowout kit in a Molle pouch on that leg. Never know when you are going to need it and when you dont have it, your going to need it. I let the rig ride up on my leg then readjust it after a few hundred yards. Need to get the straps with the no-slip material on the inside of the strap.

I use one of the old WW 2 leather shoulder holsters with either my 1911 in it or my Ruger mk2. although I haven't needed it yet after capping a coyote, I like having the option.

I have one of those! I can't really use it anymore as I had to switch to southpaw. But I was cool looking, and surprisingly useful and comfy. Only thing I didn't like was that I didn't have a matching mag system.

For a big gun, I prefer a shoulder holster. But, I have been carrying using a high riding hip holster for quail hunting along the Mexican border in AZ. I found carrying an all steel fullsize 1911 was a bit too much. It drug at my belt and was uncomfortable after a couple hours. I switched to a Sig P239 compact in a similar high ride hip holster and it was almost like it wasn't there.

Since I am usually going after pig or deer when I whack most coyotes, my sidearm is geared more for piggies, deer or bear. Here is my usual rig (though I usually only carry one speedloader of the LBT boolits...er...um...Barnes...boolits...yeah.... Barnes.) The LBT are 185 grains over 15.8 grains of H-110 and chronograph at 1250fps I have yet to recover one of these from a pig.

model627withhoaguegrips_edited-1_zps2571