wannakillacoyote

How are you guys holstering your sidearm when Coyote hunting?

62 posts in this topic

Normally in a stand, I will have the .45 cocked and sitting in my lap.
You're cocking that Sig P220 and then setting it down in your lap? :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: :WTF_1:

Wanna, I like the drop holster as well. When I've carried my Sig and sat down on the ground I often found I was getting my pistol down in the dirt and filthy. Perhaps with your little compact you wouldn't have that problem.

You're cocking that Sig P220 and then setting it down in your lap? :signgreatreport3kg: :WTF_1:
Sometimes, since it uses a transfer bar, you have to pull the trigger to free the firing pin. Although normally, I use it double action in my lap, just as added safety.Darren

My side arm, a Ruger 4" GP-100 is carried in a Bianci GI flap holster, the same model that is used for the current service pistols, but designed for this revolver. I carry the weapon loaded and 12 spare ctg's in a pouch on my Brit. WW2 issue soft webbing belt. This and a belt knife is my every day rig. The old Brit. soft webbing belt is VERY comfortable, especially on long hikes. The weapon is completely protected in the flap holster, but can still be drawn quickly. I carry this revolver mostly for self protection, but have used it to KO a few really close and foolish coyotes, usually under 40 yds. It's my "finisher", finishing off a few jobs that my rifle starts. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Just had a mt lion come into our coyote calls monday, less than 20 ft above my partner with his rifle pointed in the wrong direction, of course my .45 semi was pointed in the right direction, so that's why I carry a handgun while coyote hunting .

I like my Glock 22 in a mild belt style cross draw that is comfortable driving and sitting on stand. My 45LC is in a western style hoster I made but the G22 is more comfortable.

Grizzly Adams carried a single shot riffle a pistol and a bowie knife. He said he bought the pistol as a back up gun. Guess what he used most to save his life from several grizzly bears, an elk and a buffalo?After reading Grizzly Adam's Biography and calling in my second Mt. Lion, I started carrying a good Bowie Knife cross draw. There's not much that can beat a good knife for close quarters combat.Also lions attack from behind and I have issues with pointing a pistol at my self to dislodge a lion from my neck. :D

:signs1180lq: Lets hope the day never comes when we have to choose......I had to deal with a lion that roamed into town a few months ago.....Jokingly I asked a guy, if that lion jumps on your back...do you want me to shoot it or beat it off with my stick....He said SHOOT IT! Screw that...I don't want anyone shooting at me.....Lion or no Lion.But there are so many lions around now days......My hunting partner called in another one last night. He turned on his light to see the ole cat looking down on him from a rock.

I have a Glock 22 (40 cal) and a 4th generation IBW holster but I think it would be quite uncomfortable while hunting. I too think a thigh set-up would dirty the gun and/or get in my way. Wearing the pistol higher would seem a good way to go, especially in brush. Is there a shoulder hoster that's ideal or do all the options have a downside? This one looked okay except that the mag pouches might get in the way.http://www.combathunting.com/HOLSTERS-Shou...Adjustable.html

Mine rides my belt and feels just fine. 8" Colt Anaconda. I wear a hand gun on coyote stands for three reasons self defense,Because I can,love to be armed to the gills in a legal context.

I recently got a Blackhawk CQC holster. You can adjust the angle from crossdraw to strongside butt forward, and it came with a regular belt style atatchment and a paddle. The gun snaps into the holster positivley and is held in place by its trigger gaurd. When drawing the weapon the trigger finger pushes the release button to set it free. Scince there are no retention straps to drag the gun through it's a much smoother draw/reholster than my thumb break style rig, especially in the cross draw position. I give this rig an easy two thumbs up and would recomend it to anyone. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

I use a fobus paddle holster for my glock 22 at it works great for keeping the gun out of the brush. The great thing is you can position it anywhere to make it comfortable. The gun seems like it will not fall out, but I check every once and awhile anyways.

The creeping and tugging is what I am experiencing. I really like the idea of a leg holster as it kind of gets it out of the way. I will try it first with a different belt, then try just having the holster on the belt.What does a High/crossdraw look like?I'm new to this, but my reasons are:1. Self Defense in a close quarters situation (not against coyote's but 2 legged or even a mountain lion) I plan to be in some pretty remote areas, why not have a little backup just in case? Who knows who or what you will run into. What if you were out hunting alone, and you fall and in the process, get separated from your rifle. It could possibly be days before being found. It would be nice to have a sidearm to fend off the predators. I'm not planning on going Rambo or anything, but it's not that heavy so why not. Just seems like a bit of insurance and the great thing is I already own it!2. Putting a wounded coyote out of it's misery while not using a $4 shell.
dont forget snakes, the first shot in my kimber 45 is snake shot even if a big ol cat comes around it'll get snakeshot before the 230 gr.gold dot hp. i have had a couple of mis understandings with snakes and i have won them both. the first time all i had was my 243 and a shotgun with 00 buck,not enough bb's for snakesthen i argued with the second one and won with the kimber and snakeshot.

I wear a shoulder holster for my .45. That way I can be sitting down with nothing binding, or tough to draw from. Normally in a stand, I will have the .45 cocked and sitting in my lap. That way I just drop the rifle buttstock off my shoulder and just point the .45 where I need to. Makes things work very smoothly and easily.Darren
You're cocking that Sig P220 and then setting it down in your lap? :roflmao3[1]: :WTF_1:
Sometimes, since it uses a transfer bar, you have to pull the trigger to free the firing pin. Although normally, I use it double action in my lap, just as added safety.Darren
I understand that, but mechanical things can fail. I was taught to always use safeties but never to trust them.
Thats pretty much the same as having a loaded (Chambered) Glock on your lap. Both would be in condition 0. If an accident were to occur it would be because someone or something (tree branch or stick ect) moved the trigger.Me personally I like the Double action first shot.BTW I just ordered a Black Hawk Serpa OD green tactical holster for the sig line (level 2). I'll post pictures and a review of it.

2. Putting a wounded coyote out of it's misery while not using a $4 shell.
Coup de Grace.Really the main reason to carry a handgun. Or if you are a shotgun hunter you may want something with a bit more range for a bit of peace of mind. Since most of my hunting is done during the cooler months snakes are usually not a problem...even if they are I don't kill em usually...unless one is about to crawl onto my lap.I've carried a sidearm (usually .22LR) on my side in a holster...if you make a lot of stands sitting down on the ground the holster and sometimes the gun can get a bit grubby. I usually place an 22LR revolver in my jacket pocket. The whole mtn lion thing cracks me up honestly...if it came down to needing it (highly unlikely) I'd much rather have my shotgun/rifle over drawing a handgun.

Really the main reason to carry a handgun. Or if you are a shotgun hunter you may want something with a bit more range for a bit of peace of mind.
I thought thats what Rifled slugs where for? .... 8)

The whole mtn lion thing cracks me up honestly...if it came down to needing it (highly unlikely) I'd much rather have my shotgun/rifle over drawing a handgun.
Another situation is you have fallen off a cliff or something and are separated from your rifle/shotgun. If you had a sidearm holstered and on you, you have a higher chance of still having it after a fall. ALso, what if a Mountain Lion was already on you, chewing on you?? You MAY have a chance to get to your handgun before bleeding out. lolI am still not carrying everytime I hunt though. Just one more thing to weigh me down I guess.

Yikes!!! You are right...didn't think of that. Or maybe I fell off the cliff and into a lake...I could drown. I'm gonna start carrying a scuba tank too! :smiley-funny-post-sign: ...just playin...I've carried my sidearm plenty...better to be prepared.