CA Desert Dog

Today's Chat With Rock River Arms

38 posts in this topic

Good gooly is that what a CA legal AR looks like???????? I just sent my stnd stock to a pal in El Cajon and he in turn sent his collapsible to me. I’m trying to get his pre-ban barrel to switch with my post ban but he’s bucking the system. I feel for you guy’s. I loved living in Socal and always spent a week or two along the central coast but I got sick of feeling like a criminal for being a shooter. I was actually referred to as “some kind of a gun nut” in a staff meeting. My response to the insult was dealt with in a more private setting. I don’t think I changed any opinions but I believe the individual will think a little harder before throwing insults around in a staff meeting.

No resaon to feel guilty about being a shooter. Everyone at my work knows how I feel. One other guy is like me, lots of guns around his house. We just converted a non gun owner to a proud owner of a S&W semi auto pistol in 40 S&W. He is digging it. We do have a plan to convert as many as possible. With regard to my RRA Varmint rifle, I choose to have the U15 stock. It has some weird tec-coolness about it. I have 5 other AR's in different configuration. Some have A2 stock some have collapsible stocks. I just got finished with a Spike Tactical ST22 in 22lr build (last photo). You just got to play the fricken CA game. MVC-023S.jpgMVC-030F.jpg

Oh yeah Hawkeye80863 if no one has said it yet, welcome to the forum. Lots of great guys belong to CPC. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

Thanks for the welcome! Just stopped in for a second. I'll be back after I tend to the boys. Lots of AR questions.

Oh yeah Hawkeye80863 if no one has said it yet, welcome to the forum. Lots of great guys belong to CPC. :)
+1 A lot of the regulars here @ CPC have forgotten more about guns then I have ever known.

Way back when I purchased my first AR. I went with the post ban RRA CAR with A2 sites and standard stock. I purchased it because the price was right and I always wanted one. I figured it would make a handy coyote gun for close in work (at least as effective as a shotgun). Unfortunately, Colorado has a 6mm minimum for big game rifles or I'd be using it on antelope and deer as well. Shortly after buying it I started shooting non-sanctioned high power matches. As a newby I shot well. I was regularly topping guys with national match ARs as well as M1A1s and lots of Korean War era Garands. Now the dilemma. I don't want to get rid of my CAR upper but it's not quite set up the way I'd like. My goal would be to purchase a stnd 20" upper with A4 receiver and switch the hardware between the two uppers. In short I'd have the 16" with the flat top A4 capable of mounting a low profile scope and a 20" with the A2 that would place me in the stock rifle category for matches. Can this be done? Will the front site interfere with the scope on the CAR. Is the interference a condition of the mag of the scope. My preference would be either a straight 4x or a low mag 1-4. Can you use a shot gun scope on a rifle? I'm not a fan of red scopes so that eliminates them from the equation. Ok Bronco, now for your ARs. What's the current CA law allow or prohibit? I vaguely recall issues with a hand grip extending below the stock, flash suppressor, bayonet lug, the removable magazine oh and the collapsible stock? I'd appreciate your help clearing up these questions. If you happen to have a link I can pass on to my friend that would be appreciated as well. hawk

Thanks, I sent this along with the others posted at the top of this forum. This should give him a little light reading.

OK, here are some pics but I must say that I am not too pleased with the digital camo job I did. It's more desert tan than anything but it is what it is. I never used that process before and I guess I should have practiced on something. Oh well, here is the Grendel with the digital camo and the RRA Coyote without.CAMOGRENDELLFT.jpgCAMOGRENDELRT.jpgRRA223COYOTELFT.jpgRRA223COYOTERT.jpg

Nice looking guns. :signgreatreport3kg: How long did the camo job take u to do?

CA Desert Dog....... WOW!!!! I think the camo job is great and the RRA Coyote is a wicked looking rifle. Hey how about coming up to my house and do some camo things to one of my AR's ? Heck you even camo the scope caps!!!!! I didn't see that at first, camo must have done the trick.. :signs1180lq: Bob :signgreatreport3kg:

Thanks for the kind words guys. I guess I didn't quite grasp the concept. There should have been some darker colors mixed in but since I desert hunt, it should be OK. At least its protected with the DuraCoat. Rust will never be an issue.