Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Noob Goldberg

Recommended scope?

34 posts in this topic

I have a Redfield 3to9 like most of the old timers we use the lower power untill we need more much larger field of view that way

Bernie, is that Redfield the wide angle one? I had just purchased one for my Remington Model 700 ADL (which I bought in 1965) in, I believe, 1979. Stopped hunting for a variety of reasons. Then, in 1988 it was stolen in a burglery, along with my WWII vintage 1911 and my 1965 version S&W M&P. That wide angle version was a great scope.

After doing some reading on Mueller I REALLY want to try one. I've got some rifles that really need scopes and the reviews and prices on Muellers seems pretty good.Mueller OpticsDenny

I have three of them. I have one on Point Blanks Weather Warrior I think it's 4.5x14. don't have it in front of me at the moment. It is an AO scope. I don't understand why some don't like the AO feature. You don't have to change the focus all of the time. You change the focus when you need to. Try changing the focus on an animal when it is close-up and you don't have an AO scope. Not necessarily what I do with yotes, but it is nice for jacks.db

one more vote for the leupold vxII, 3-9x40 or 4-12x40, especially with a fine duplex. They deliver plenty of light for dawn/dusk shots, generous eye relief and pretty solid. I've got 2 of each and happy with all 4. The Nikon 6-18x40 buckmasters are fine for squeeks with plenty of daylight but very big & not wonderful in very low light, plus the damn reticle is so coarse on the BDC. I've also got two of these.I don't know much about other brands, besides Burris. If you look into burris, stick with the signature select - their very nice. Once upon a time I topped my first rifle with a bushnell baner 4-12x40. It seemed fine, until I went coyote calling one evening. Around last light, my scope blacked out. No matter how I strained or cocked my head, I couldn't see through the scope. It just didn't gather enough light. When we got back to the truck after dark, my buddy let me peep through his leupold vxII 3-9x40, and I could still see easily through the scope. On our next hunt, the banner was replaced by a VXII....

my ruger 77 mkII in 243 has a weaver 2.5-10 w/ 50 mm lens it is the v 10 clear glass lots of light in low lite situationsall around good scope.

My newest yote rig wears a Leupold UltraLite 3-9x32It's more than enough out to 200yds plus.

........ I don't understand why some don't like the AO feature. You don't have to change the focus all of the time. You change the focus when you need to. Try changing the focus on an animal when it is close-up and you don't have an AO scope.........
Non adjustable objective scopes are always in focus so you never have to mess with them in the field. If your sight picture is out of focus on a close target with a standard scope it's because you're useing to much magnification. No adjustable objective can make up for that. The first time I had a dog bolt off while I was trying to adjust my scope was also the last time. No more AOs on hunting rigs.

Primarily for yotes @ >200 yds. (You have this in the title)and then say most shots would not exceed 150-200 yards.I think you wanted this sign.............Primarily for yotes @ <200 yds.<<<<<<<