aquaelvis

FoxPro Question....

42 posts in this topic

I now have a pretty big library of sounds. When I got my FX416B I just knew 16 sounds would be plenty but I neglected to get a fawn distress. When tawnoper offered to sell me his FX3 I jumped on it. I just had to have the extra sounds. I kept the sounds already loaded in my 416 but sold the caller on Ebay. Funny, tho.......I still use about 3 or 4 sounds out of the entire bunch. And not all on the same stand.The Johnny Stewart stuff is hard to beat. I used a Johnny Stewart sound in my old portable reel to reel tape deck back in the old days and called in a lot of critters. I only had one sound. It was jackrabbit distress. I really like the Scrub Hare Distress sound and I think it will be my go to sound for at least the beginning of the season. Nice high pitch sound that carries at low volume. When I read the boards, especially over at Predator Masters, I read about guys that mix sounds and mess with things at an alarming rate. It just verifies in my mind what I've said over and over again since getting back into the sport. People are making this far more complicated than it needs to be. When a coyote comes in who wants to be screwing around with the caller getting distracted from the job at hand? I think most of the "experts" who do a lot of gabbing aren't near the killers they would have us believe they are.

Yup...as usual I agree with Moe.I too have accumulated quite a few sounds but almost always use my "handful" of proven ones...I did pick up a couple new ones that Minaska put on their site recently that should see some action this year.I read the sites as well. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting creative with the sounds and mixing up you're own, I don't really think it will bring in any more critters. I've even recorded myself on a handcall and have used it to call in plenty of stuff...why? cause I wanted to lol, I'm sure it isn't anymore effective then a JS cottontail but it kinda cool to do.I'm always skeptical when I read peoples claims that the coyotes come in better to their super re-mix...how do they know those particular animals wouldn't of responded the same way to a standard cottontail distress? Or if they change the sound 3x a stand and think the last sound really pulled them in...how do they know it wasn't on it's way? At least for me, most critters that are wary coming in are that way regardless of sound. Sometimes you can unseat a stuck bobcat with some lip squeeks or maybe later in season you can get a coyote to close the distance with some vocals but for the most part I think most guys will have better luck by not fiddling around with the call too much on a stand. JMO

This past season I had very good luck using Foxpro's "Vole Squeaks" sound to coax coyotes in or to stop coyotes that had come in and were working there way back out. I have "Vole Squeaks" as my #1 preset sound on my FX5 remote, the volume is set at 20. At least four different times I had coyotes hang up way out there and when I switched to "Vole Squeaks" on volume 20 they came right in. A few times when I switched to "Vole Squeaks" to try to stop coyotes that were going away they stopped to check it out.IMG_2020.jpgThis coyote was one of four coyotes that stopped about 200 yards away. When I switched to "Vole Squeaks" he came right in. There is another one back behind this one just a little to the right of this one.The last time we went calling this last season it was nice having a remote to change the sounds. My son Wes was laying close to the call and he motioned to me he saw two coyotes. When I spotted them they were at least 400 yards away and moving away to our right. I tried a bunch of sounds and they were not paying much attention to the sounds. I switched to the "Male Challenge Howl" and they took off running straight for us.IMG_2758.jpgThis is a picture of the two coyotes at least 400 yards away. When they headed our way after being challenged they went out of our sight down into the canyon in front of us.IMG_2762.jpgIt seemed like forever but they came over the ridge a little to our right. They stopped and then started to head out so I switched to "Vole Squeaks" and the male stopped to look back. If you don't have "Vole Squeaks" it wouldn't be a bad idea to get it if you order any sounds from Foxpro.

aquaelvis,Congrats on your purchase. If you need any help with anything, let me know. The others have given some good recommendations on sounds. As far as length of sounds, they each have different lengths. On the FX3's, they come with 256mb of memory. That allows you to put in 32 8-minute sound loops in a .mp3 128 bit rate format. Or, you could put in one 256 minute sound loop. In other words, you can have each sound any length you want, up to the limit of the memory of the card. If you need more memory in your unit, we can simply upgrade it for you. We have only ever had 2 people do it, as 256 mb is a LOT of memory.shooterjohn,When friends share their sounds with another friend, it's not such a big deal. What will get someone in trouble is when they announce that they will give away our sounds to anyone. And, even worse, if they take one of our sounds, manipulate it a little, and give it away to another company (competitor) as a free download. That is when the bigger fines come into play. If anyone has any other questions on our products, please let me know. I will be more than glad to help. Thanks!Mike DillonFOXPRO Inc."The Caller of the Wild"

Hello Mike, do you know about when Foxpro will give out the information on the new merchandise for 2008? Will it happen before the World Predator Hunting Expo?

PredatorMaster,Judging by the photo in your avatar, you have a model 416. There are a couple ways that you can change sounds on that unit. If you want us to program our sounds into it, you can send it in, and we will reprogram one or all of the sounds for $25.00, plus return shipping. If you prefer, you can also purchase the PG-1 adapter for $45.00. This adapter gives you the ability to record your own sounds into the unit. And, it is simple to do. Simply plug the PG-1 adapter into the 416 (look behind the foam behind your battery tray). Then, plug your audio source into the PG-1 adapter (such as a cassette player, cd player, or computer), and hit play. When you get to the segment of the sound you want recorded into your unit, simply press and hold the record button on the PG-1 adapter. Your sound will record into the position that your unit is currently in. You can also add a remote to your unit for $199.95. You may be better off to sell your unit, and purchase a new FX3, or a refurb or used one. The FX3's can now be found for $399.95, and has more features, and a much easier way of downloading sounds, via a built in USB port. Let me know if you have any other questions.dabob,Well, it should happen before the expo. If not before, then definitely at the expo. Some very cool things are coming.Mike DillonFOXPRO Inc."The Caller of the Wild"

I used the PG-1 adapter when I had the 416B. It's easier to use than it sounds. dabob......thanks for the Vole Squeaks tip. I'd actually thought about using something like Luscious Lips or Kiss of Death.

I found a deal on mine through ebay, they ended it early and sold it to me for $365 shipped. But, I just got the new Bass Pro catalog and I see it there for $399 (in camo, mine is black) So, it is kind of a wash, mine was still cheaper but that one for $400 is camo. I can camo this one myself and I save $35 plus shipping. I really like the unit thus far. It has not gone into the field with me yet but I haved been playing with it and its easy to use and sounds great. (I really like this remote) I also played with the sound program on my PC and that was pretty easy to figure out as well. (moving and editing sounds) This is my first caller (nice one anyway) and so far it has proven to be easier to use and program than expected. Mr Dillon, thanks for taking the time to post, welcome to the site. I always appreciate it when companies take the time to mingle with the people who use their products or services. It is funny how much companies will spend on R&D, etc without ever taking the time to listen to the end users. (most of which are not pro hunters, just normal guys) One suggestion, you may have already read it. It would be nice if people could buy blocks of sounds on your web site and then download them as needed. I am sure the software would not be an issue, as itunes and so many others do the same thing. You add 16 sounds to your account, then download them as needed. When your account has no more sounds left, you just buy more. It might not do much for your side but I think it would be a great tool for the customer. (feel free to send me a new-generation FX? in appreciation for this fabulous tip! :smiley_green_with_envy: ) Anyway, thanks again for the info.

aquaelvis,Glad to be here. And, I can say that we have always listened to our end users, and have been hunting all of my life (started fox hunting when I was 8). I will look into implementing the sound idea on our website. I will say though, that Apple has much deeper pockets than us, LOL!