Shoot-it

Hulla Popper strikes again!

8 posts in this topic

I was fishing the river and had a big fish explode on it didn't know what it was tell I got it in .Ahh sh*t it was a squaw fish it's 25 inches long at least 5 pounds. I didn't know they hit top water tell now .100_1326.jpg

:smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: Ive got them on lures before . Fun fish to catch . they are super preds they eat alot of the steal head and salmon fry. But they are one of the few native fish to the vally.

Apparently you haven't been keeping up with your political correctness lessons. No more "squaw" anything since it offends Indi.., uh, native Americans. It's now called a Northern Pike Minnow. lolThere's a bounty on them up here and a few people actually make a good living catching them. Up on the Okanogan River in North Central Washington you can catch one every third cast or so. When I first moved there I went steelhead fishing and was catching them and would release them but after I found out what they were and the kinds of devastation they were causing on the salmonids I just threw them up in the bushes on the bank.

One kind is protected here in Kalifornia. I think its in the calorado river.They are suposed to be good to eat kind of like carp :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: .

that pike minnow put up a good fight it was fun. I goggled the squaw fish and read up on it I didn't know they did so much harm .Years ago they poisoned a lake do to pike being introduced and they were eating up all the native fish. Here is a pic of my freinds bass he caught,100_1328.jpg

never heard of "sqaw fish"...when I pulled up the pic looked like a carp...goes to show you I grew up fishing streams for trout and nothing else.

Nice fish . cool pics and a great story. wish I had one to tell. I need to catch any kind of fish.

strange what fish will bite on. Sunday I flipped a fluke out on the lake and caught a bass. Moved over by these trees and flipped it out again and caught a trout, about 17 inches on the same fluke. Now that was after being upstream seing trout and using my fly rod for the trout and not catching a thing. :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: