Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hookum

Factory Ammo for ...........243?

8 posts in this topic

Yesterday I ordered a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 243. My intent for the rifle is coyotes in the eastern sierras and shooting will be in the 300+ range, around 7500 to 8000 ft elevation. Can you guys recommend a good factory load and bullet weight. I'll have to see what the rifle prefers since I no longer reload. But suggestions would be appreciated since it gets pretty expensive shooting everything out there looking for that "right load" Thanks in advance.

I can tell you that the 100gr Remington Corelokt's are devestating on coyotes and I have never had to track one (DRT) and the exits have never been more than golf ball sized but I also haven't had to shoot the distances you're talking about except in AZ and I had already switched to the 223. I would really be surprised if you have to shoot that far unless the dogs you're calling are really getting pressured. The areas that I hunt get hunted real hard and the farthest shot I have had to take was 220 and that was because I got tired of watching it but it was moving closer every time it would move.

I prefer the 85 grain if you can find them :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

Federal Premium Vital Shok 85 gr Barnes Triple Shock at $45.00/box of 20. All copper HPs. :yahoo:

Boy, at those prices I may just have to reconsider and start reloading again.

55 grain ballistic tips and 62 grain varmint grenades drive tacks in my sps .243.

Yesterday I broke in my new Savage .243 and had good results with FEDERAL PREMIUM 70 gr. TNT. I shot 10 rds at 100yds in 1.100", check out my post in the rifle catagory.,,300WSM

My gun really likes the federal powershok 80 grainers. My gun has 1 in 10 twist. I see your gun has a twist of 1 in 9 1/8 so it should shoot them well also. I like how these buck the wind on longer shots.