ShooterJohn

Making a Silent Pellet Trap...

Take you new uncut plastic clip board and mark out the opening on it using the one you have now. Just hold them back to back and use a Sharpie to trace the outline of the opening. Then use at least a 3/8 inch drill bit and drill the four corners. Now using a straight edge and two spring clamps or even tape. Measure the distance from the edge of your jigsaw to the blade. Clamp your straight edge that distance from the inside of the line you drew. Insert your jigsaw blade into a hole parallel to your straight edge and start sawing. Continue around your clip board and you had a perfectly square hole.

I will tell you that your pellet trap with a 1/4 inch steel plate will take large pistol rounds.

I would bet that Robin's 3 cats would make great silent pellet traps if hit properly. "sigh" I may regret saying that... lol

What happens on CPC stays on CPC.

Tom

I put an outdoor light in back of my house and wanted sealant to protect from rain getting behind it and a dampening preventer. Home Depot told me they had none; but I found 5 sticks in the Electric department and bought them all. They worked fine and that was 5 years ago. The target boxes I see here are great boxes for pellet traps. I have my own Idea and will post if it works :crazy: If not I will build from what I see. Thank you

Well I built a temporary trap. I used one of those plastic tubs and took off the top with the bottom facing the shooter. I filled it with insulation and a pillow. I want to finish it off with books. This is temporary until I make one like above. I fired a pellet for the first time in the basement expecting a softer sound; but the recoil and loud crack let me know to shop for ear protectors. I almost went deaf from 30 years of firing up to 7mm rifles. Now its only pellet guns for me. To renew your license here it's $100 and going over the coals and I told them screw it. Now I read in the forums and in the gun clubs here that they don't want you to shoot lead pellets; what in blue blazes is that? A lot of companies will have to crank up on alloy pellets which are not good in a rifled barrel I believe. Lead is soft and you clean your barrel every 100 pellets. Alloy will probably do a job on your rifling. Maybe I am wrong. I had a permit to make bullets in the city years ago and cranked them out for police and even the registry so they could practice. I had all the dies and separate machines all set up.They all were Dillon's the best made at the time.

Oh I have a gun club I use to belong to 25 years ago, I will contact them. Usually you need a member to bring you in. A friend of mind who died was also a member. I do believe they allow lead. I do not want a firearm as my state is crazy AKA MA. I wanted to belong to this group as you all are pretty knowledgeable. I owned a gun shop and had a license to make ammo in the city for 15 years. I was the only store in my city; but only sold on referral or to police. I sold body armor to police, custom cut. I knew a dealer who got sick from making lead bullets and had to stop. If you shoot inside it must be properly ventilated as clubs here in my state are. I have plenty of room to shoot in my woods; but the rifle has to be broken is as it has a large report. Joining a club would let me shoot when I want. The clubs here are open to members 24/7 . There is a club in the city; but they restrict the amount of members and hold their noses up to much for me. I don't want to slap people on the back, I just want to have fun and help out when I can

I went to Lowes and Home depot and I could not find the stick putty and nobody had any idea what I was talking about.

I am in Massachusetts and was looking for the electrical putty. They only had two bars; so I bought them both. I used one around all my outside lights to seal out water. I made a wooden box downstairs in the cellar filled with pillows and Some Soft stuff I had. Works good. My wife loves shooting so after I get a few pellets through it she can play. Came with the generic cheapo scope which will disappear.

I have a similar setup from kitchen thru living room to opposite garage corner.

My next target is going to be rubber mulch filled box.

Oh, and it s 16-17 yards.

I have a silent pellet trap I made a couple years ago using 2x lumber, and two layers of duct seal. Worked great for all my pellet guns, and even the Sumatra .25 Carbine cranked up all the way and shooting 43.2 grain Eun Jin pellets. Well, it worked fine till the other day when I started shooting at it with my Sam Yang 909s .45. After a dozen shots I split the back wall of it. That was a 2 x 10 chunk of redwood. So I figured I'd make one a little heavier duty.

20121125-1632121.jpg

20121125-1632421-300x225.jpg

So I put together box made of scrap 2x4s I had laying around. Doubled the thickness of the back wall. Then I filled this box with two bags of rubber mulch from Lowe's.

Bent over to pick this thing up and just about popped a gut. I think it has to be a 125 pounds. UGH. But I don't think I'm going to have any trouble shooting through this thing. Off course I have to use a hand truck to move it around.

The 909s pushed around the 30-35lb trap, but I don't think it's going to budge the big one...

FullSizeRender.jpg

pellet-trap-2.jpg

pellet-trap.jpg

Looks good! The thought of lead one day being hard to get and me wanting to cast one day is pushing me in the same direction.

Have a bag of rubber mulch to do something similar.

Would cut you a steel backer, but you probably live far away.

SteveOH,

How did your trap work? I just made mine. Filled up a smallish cardboard box with rubber mulch and put a few pellets into it out of my D48 in my garage. Works great!

Read online that two bags worth stopped a 45-70 round.

It's worked out perfectly. Carried up the hill as far as I dared. I can just get 35 yards shooting diagonally across the yard. The .45 909s does not budge it, and I'm willing to bet it doesn't go in more than 4 inches. A Steel backer would give even more good feelings...

I'm in Benicia which appears to be only 397 miles away!

Folks I bought 12 sticks of duct sealant bricks and put them in bottom of large plastic tub. I turned it up and draping a sheet over it I made the sheet pushed in a little. Works great. I stood 12 feet away using a powerful Benjamin np rifle. nothing went through. I used lead wadcutters

I know this is an old tread, but I just came upon it, and took SJ’s advice and went to Home Depot, found myself a 10”x10” indoor electrical pull box, threw the cover away, and lined up 6 bars of that duct seal. 

Very sweet idea, contained all the pellets in that trap, and yes, best of all- silent. Well, not 100% silent but pretty close. Great idea, an thanks for sharing, SJ