aquaelvis

chicken liver vs. beef liver?

27 posts in this topic

I have been using chicken liver recently with good results. The trouble is that it is hard to deal with. It is easy to tear, etc. I have tried using some thread and fis line to tie it up. That has worked OK, but it a real pain. I was wondering if beef liver is any easier to use? (tougher?) Does it work as well? Any thoughts on the liver issue? I am also having a hell of a time baiting the hook with anchovie. That stuff splits, it is too small, etc, etc, etc. What am I doing wrong?

Why don't you try some sardine. Stripers like sardines and any good bait shop has them. Just fillet a side at a time and cut into chunks. If you're having trouble getting it to stay on your hook use thread. Just wrap some around and over your bait and it will stay put.

Panty hose. Just cut them up in 4 inch squares lay the liver on them. Pull the corners up twist and tie with thread the night before you go out and out them back into the container. It will keep the bait together on the hook real good. lota work but is worth it.

Put a little salt in it . I like to let my chicken liver get just a bit green before I use it :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: that also toughens it up.Try putting tuna oil in it also (slimy mess ) but works good. Instead of using a knif to cut it use scissores( sp) Beef liver is harder to use ,Turky is best and jack rabbit liver works to. Ancovies are great for strippers like Shooter said, fresher the better. I might be a red neck :aggressive: oops He said sardines same thing need to be fresh.

We always used clams. I'm going to be in Stockton in a couple of weeks and am hoping to get out for stripers and catfish. I love stripers.

Red miricle thread is the ticket for me no tying no mess a couple of quick wrapps and snap it off it will stay really well . as for the anchovies butterfly them and use the thread , I use that when I go to bodega for leopard sharks

salt is a good idea. I use to leave it in the sun for a few hours to dry it up and it will get leathery and not fall apart just make sure the cats don't get it.

Yuck puke :signs1180lq::yikes[1]::yikes[1]::signs165xk::signs165xk: Was forced fed liver when I was a kid. Now gezzards are good

You guys are nasty. There was lots of talk abut liver the other night. My brother-in-law is Basque (sp?) and eats all kinds of NASTY stuff. I was putting the liver on the hook and could not fathom how anyone could eat that. It smells gross, feels gross... NASTY stuff. He was trying to convince me how good gizzards are too... yuck! (then tounge and heart, etc) My question to him; with all the good cuts of meat available... WHY eat that stuff? Why now chew on the chicken's butthole? Lamb scrotum? Where does it end? :yikes[1]: You guys are nasty! Give me a nice cut of beef or some babybacks and I am fine, no need to go looking for mystery meat! :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

I bet you never tried pegion or mud hen have you ? both are pretty good.

The night before my and my Pop's and I go Cat fishing this is what we do and it works like a charm every time. Seriously, I have never had a problem w/ the liver staying on the hook.Using a large pan on the stove, crank up the heat all the way & get it as hot as possible. Sear the livers (only on one side) for about 30 seconds or so, but don't blacken them. Put them back in the container and your good to go.

More for me! :smiley-funny-post-sign:
You and I need to get together for a liver feed someday John. Fried deer liver and onions is the best!DanPS: We always used to leave chicken liver out in the sun for a day before fishing with it. The more it stinks the better!

:):signs1242cn: You are one! :signlol2iu:
If you get enough of them, 1Shot-1Kill tells me they taste a lot like Calamari!!!

:lol::smiley-innocent-halo-yellow::roflmao3[1]::roflmao3[1]::roflmao3[1]: Any one had carp ? :o Its ok kind of like talapia only better. ;) ?