SpokaneSlayer

The wife's new turkey gun

11 posts in this topic

Went out and bought the wife a turkey gun last night (no waiting period up here), a Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag with a thumbhole. We were originally looking for a Pardner pump which she seemed to like when we saw one at a raffle at Cabela's, as soon as she picked up the Mossberg that was all she wrote. It's a nice gun for the money and should serve her well. Matter of fact, I might try to find a thumbhole stock for my 870. Anybody know where I can find one? I've tried looking online and no luck so far. Will post a report when we go pattern it.post-1302-1206543837_thumb.jpg

Nice gun she should like that. As for the 870 thumbhole stock you might try a quick Google?

I have the same shotty here myself, and I think woody has the pistol grip model also. Seems to do a good job. I also picked up a DC choke for it, but think the standard choke that comes with it performed better. Take a look back at my thread and see what the patterning looked like.

Nice gun she should like that. As for the 870 thumbhole stock you might try a quick Google?
I did try that. Haven't found what I want. I'd like it camo so it matches the rest of my gun.

I have the same shotty here myself, and I think woody has the pistol grip model also. Seems to do a good job. I also picked up a DC choke for it, but think the standard choke that comes with it performed better. Take a look back at my thread and see what the patterning looked like.
Thanks. That helps a little, but we're going to be shooting 3" turkey loads with #5 shot so the pattern will be different.

I agree that the stock choke is real close in performance to a Carlson Dead Coyote choke. I know of two of the hand grip guns, including mine, that shoot about 8 inches high at 40 yards and there is not enough adjustment in the sights to adjust it out. I don't know about the thumbhole model. I had to use a red dot sight to get it on target.SteveH

I agree that the stock choke is real close in performance to a Carlson Dead Coyote choke. I know of two of the hand grip guns, including mine, that shoot about 8 inches high at 40 yards and there is not enough adjustment in the sights to adjust it out. I don't know about the thumbhole model. I had to use a red dot sight to get it on target.SteveH
Steve, mine seem to me that is shot right on target, not high nor low, looking at those targets I shot at in my thread that used the doggie outline. Close enuff for me, ha, as am a bad shot anyway, and any wavering either way will help LOL

Jake have you tried contacting Remington since they make a camo thumbhole for the 870? You should be able to get a replacement from them.870 camo thumbhole
Thanks John! They do have one for $160.

I don't know what they would sell for, but I know you can purchase replacement parts from Remington.

There's also the Remington Sure-Shot stock for the 870.51953.jpg