Iron Worker

GPS units

32 posts in this topic

I've never even touched one let alone know how to use one. Whats the best unit for our hobbie? Most user friendly?

I use a Garmin Summit...basic and easy to use.My best advice to you would be what ever brand or model you chose make sure it has an electronic compass.

sorry folks but the batteries have never died in my Quadrangle map and compass.

sorry folks but the batteries have never died in my Quadrangle map and compass.
That's why you carry spair batteries and wear a watch that also has a compass on it. If all that fails, you better be good at reading the stars and knowing where the sun comes up.

im glad this came up lol. for one id like to get one that will be a good personal gps as well as on the car/truck. why, truck?? well, lol my speedometer broke and my kid may be driving it soon. it will cost 300 min on getting speedometer fixed. so, if i got to spend that much why not get one gps that will do both... just curiou if u know anything about them thx robert

I was looking for a new GPS unit recently and checked out the vast numbers offered and ended up purchasing the Lowrance iFinder Hunt c GPS unit. The same one a few of you other guys have. I love it and would recomend it to anyone. I was wondering if any of you guys also purchased the Freedom maps card for the 7 western states? If so please reply as I have a few questions you may be able to help me with, thanks.

i dont want to spend over 300$ for it. having trouble on figuring out what is good. plusk, i want to get good maps and map info that i can trust and hopefully the maps wont be $ too. thx robert

I have a Magellan Sport Trac Pro that I have used for six years or so and it does more than I need. They were a bit pricey back then, but I would guess that the price has come down since there is so much competition now. I think I paid over $500 for the Sport Trac Pro. The only upgrade I would like is an electronic compass. You have to be moving for the compass to work in mine. I upgraded to the color display a couple of years ago and returned it because it was very hard to see the display in sun light.

I do'nt have a GPS yet. I do have DeLorme TOPO USA DeLorme does have a GPS that interfaces with the may program. The GPS is around $400. If you do'nt want to spend that much I have heard good things about the Garmens.

does the lowrance have a speed indicator etc in it??? robert
Yes it has a speed indicator as well as a top speed feature you don't want the CHP to see! :roflmao3[1]:

:welcomeani: actually i seen some on walmart web page that had mph but not sure how high it will go. i just seen one that shows walking speed but, not sure about the mph. walmart in the store had one but the salemales men didnt know how fast it would go although it was in mph.

My Magellan goes up to 95 mph if you can walk that fast. :welcomeani: Woodog

Cool, "Beyond Jazz" while coyote hunting :welcomeani: . It is not mentioned, but I assume that all of the standard GPS functions are built into the unit. I does have a digital compass which is nice. Wonder if I would have to subscribe to XM Radio twice if I get this thing? SteveH

nice i dont see a mph indicator on this thing. i too hoped that it would give more info on its gps fuctions. like how many way points or how many trails it saves etc

Ok so you have a real time satellite image ? So on a coyote stand will it show where or what direction coyotes are coming in or if there are any there? It can't be that accurate? Only the Star Ship Enterprise could do that and only if Officer Chuchkov was man the censers.