wannakillacoyote

My AR build Start to Finish

147 posts in this topic

That is so evil! :censored[1]: Looks awesome man, get out there and shoot it!!! We need a full report.I need to decide on an upper and get going on mine!

I just checked the UPS tracking for one of my new toys and I see it is on the truck for delivery! I have a 20" Shilen barrel that has been heavily fluted and chambered in 6 x 45 on the way for an AR upper build that I am going to attempt. I have all of the parts sitting here and will start putting my barrel together this weekend as time and honey-do's permit! I'll start a new thread with pictures of the build process.

I just checked the UPS tracking for one of my new toys and I see it is on the truck for delivery! I have a 20" Shilen barrel that has been heavily fluted and chambered in 6 x 45 on the way for an AR upper build that I am going to attempt. I have all of the parts sitting here and will start putting my barrel together this weekend as time and honey-do's permit! I'll start a new thread with pictures of the build process.
What can brown do for you? :signs1180lq: Man I have never been happier to see that guy. :DLook forward to seeing the new build.

Quick update. I got the upper all cleaned up an lubed. I installed the Bushnell scope, but it looks as though the Millet High rings are just not high enough. My front objective is barely clearing the handguards and when bringing the rifle up and sighting it isn't natural. It's as if I have to push my face down and my cheekbone is pushing on the stock. I still plan on sighting in tomorrow as I have been looking forward to it. At least I will get to see what kind of groups it will do. I just hope I don't come back with a black eye. :rolleyes: I think I will order a riser, hopefully everything isn't too high then with the riser and the high rings. I always wondered why guys were mounting there scopes soo high on AR's (I had only used them with open sights til now). Now I guess it akes sense. It also just clicked in my head why the iron sights on a standard AR are so high. It's so you can get a good comfortable cheek weld.Woodog....The weight with the scope and rings added is 7lb 5oz!! Add the weight of 10rnds and you have the total weight. :)PS I was going to try to remove the A2 Flashider and put my levang comp on, but that A2 is a b%#@h to get off. I don't have a vise or the upper block that I guess is needed to remove these.

Had her out again showing my father-in-law so I decided to snap a couple pics.Now with Bushnell Browning scope:completeqe3.jpgcomplete2jb3.jpgcomplete3oj9.jpg

Your rifle looks really cool/evil. I wish I had gotten a stag upper with no front sight like that. Maybe we can get out sometime and shoot them together.

Aright guys here is the range report:Me and Woodog went out and did some sighting in. Thanks Woodog again for the spot/help/bench etc. :P We got his bench and Lead Sled setup, got his range finder out and setup at the 100yd mark. Man he's got all the cool toys. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: I started getting some rounds down range and we got it pretty much dialed in, but I couldn't get any good groups. I just couldn't get comfortable with the low scope and that Lead Sled. I guess my neck is too stubby to get around the sled and low enough to see properly. Soo, I took a break and we focused on Woodog sighting in his Tikka .243 and then the Mossberg (looks to be patterning pretty good with that red dot and 3 1/2" Dead Coyote rnds). Once the Scattergun was dialed in, I wanted to put a few more rounds through my AR.This time I setup on a fold up table, a fold up stool and used my backpack and a towel as a front rest. I fired one shot at a lower target to be sure I wasn't way off. That shot was in the 9 ring, so I went to other target and shot 5 rnds. If my measurements are correct (I went from center to center on the farthest two shots) it was approx 1 1/2" @ 100yds 45gr HP Winchester Varmint. Good enough for me, If I would have had my shooting bags, I think i could have gotten it a bit tighter. As for ammo I used 17 rnds of Winchester M193 FMJ (thanks again Woodog) to do the sighting and then I put 6 rnds of Winchester 45gr HP Varmint through it.100ydsdi5.jpgOne thing that may pose a problem are dents/markings on the sides of the casings. I noticed them when picking up the brass, they seem to be more significant on the FMJ brass than the 45gr HP. Not sure if the reasoning is the case difference between the two ammo loads or if it is the fact that the 45gr were the last ones I shot.M193 FMJ on the rightrightfmjwl8.jpg45grn HP on the leftleft45gnrb3.jpgTake a look and let me know what you guys think. Also wondering if it is reloadable now that it is dented.Either way, I am sold on this rifle. It is the perfect weight, I am happy with the scope height now that I have shot it (just have to figure out how to get my flip up scope cover on the objective (that thing is really close to the handguards).One last thing, I didn't have the tools to get my flash hider off and put my Levang Comp on, but I pretty much shot without Hearing Protection most of the day. If I was going to be shooting it as much or more than I did today I will use Hearing protection, but for hunting it's not that bad. :)EDIT: By the way, Woodog had a trigger pull scale.....my AR came in at 8.125 lbs. I think that's a pretty good group for 8+ lbs. :crazy:

so if i get one of these bullet buttons it would be legal to build an ak?
They make a bullet button for AK style rifles. There are a ton of them on calguns.net.Speaking of personalized plates, most shooters recognize mine:<---------------------------It's my avatar

After some research on google as well as ar15.com, I guess the dents are normal. They are caused by the case deflector. They are also reloadable. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Soo I am good to go.

Those dents don't happen on all AR's but you are correct as to their cause. The reason the ones are different is the load difference in the two rounds. Usually the hotter or heavier rounds come out with more force and are dented more. They'll be fine to reload.

They'll be fine to reload.
Didn't you mean they won't be fine and that he should just send them to me so I can dispose of them properly?

Yeah, that's what I meant! :rolleyes:That's right your new barrel will be using necked up .223 brass. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

haha, please send me your address so I can send you all my "unusable" brass. ;)

Thanks Shooter for the Title change. :good:

Alright folks, I added a few more upgrades. I added the following:Levang Muzzle CompensatorPower Custom Extended Charging Handle LatchMagPul Industries MIAD Enhanced Trigger GuardThe A2 Flash Hider was on there pretty good. I had to heat up the A2 with a lighter, and while I had My AR clamped to my workbench (I clamped it at the Gas Block) I got it off with a wrench. The levang went on smoothly and I was able to re-use the Crush Washer. I hand Tightened it, but if it loosens in the future, I will just Blue Loctite it on.The Charging handle was much easier than I thought it would be. After a trip to Harbor Freight for a 1/16" punch, it was a breaze to swap. Let me tell you what an improvement this is. If you are putting a Scope on your AR this or one like it (The Badger one is real popular) is a MUST HAVE!The last thing I added was the Magpul trigger guard. It was as simple as knocking out the roll pin and putting it in.I had all these parts from my initial build purchase, I just haven't had the time or tools to get them on.Here's some new eye candy. I thought I would try to make the pics a little nicer. :signs1180lq:completeflag2ks5.jpgflagangle2wn0.jpgflagangletd4.jpgflagserial2ie7.jpgflagserial3ht9.jpgflagserialbc5.jpglevangdm4.jpg

Looks great, but where's the Timney trigger? :signs1180lq:

You tell me. :signs1180lq: Heard anything from Carey?

Alright guys, here is the latest. We were supposed to do some shootin and some stands today, but things came up. ;)Soo, I decided to break out the can of Tan Krylon Camo paint.I no longer have an "Evil Black Gun" :signs1180lq:tancloseup2ae9.jpgtancloseupai2.jpgtanfull2po2.jpgtanfullml3.jpgI may add some other colors later on to Camo it up, but I really like the tan.

Yep, that's what it is.

Soo, I decided to break out the can of Tan Krylon Camo paint.I may add some other colors later on to Camo it up, but I really like the tan.
Lookin' good! Still waiting for my upper and your Timney trigger.