wannakillacoyote

My AR build Start to Finish

147 posts in this topic

It's the little cartoon guy in the black mask.

Nice going Steve! Is it true... once you go black you never go back? I have my lower sittin' here, still can't decide how I want to build this thing.

I have my lower sittin' here, still can't decide how I want to build this thing.
Know what you mean. There is a ridiculous number of options out there to consider. I understand that Wes at Ten Percent has about $3,600 in his build. Hope his wife doesn't read this. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Woodog

Congratulations Woodog! Welcome to the Dark Side! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: I'm new to all this as well, but we can see how a budget minded simple M4 setup works this weekend. :bleh[1]: It's not hard to put these together, and I did pick up a couple extra detent pins and springs in case we end up shooting parts across a room when putting yours together. :751: Hopefully we can get you a lightweight accurate setup for less than $3600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PS I plan to camo mine before taking it out hunting. That way I can tell the Black Gun Police "It's not an evil black gun, it's a camoed hunting rig". :DEDIT: Haha,I just looked at the pic of the Centermass lower. It's logo is a howling Coyote. SWEET! Looks similar to the CPC logo but flipped. Lower at 10percent

PS I plan to camo mine before taking it out hunting. That way I can tell the Black Gun Police "It's not an evil black gun, it's a camoed hunting rig". :bleh[1]:
That makes perfect sense to me! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

That makes perfect sense to me! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
Me too. :751: I was also thinking I could paint it to match the camo I wear. I could tell the Black Gun Police "What AR? You can't even see it. :bleh[1]: I'm surprised you can even see me."

Me too. :751: I was also thinking I could paint it to match the camo I wear. I could tell the Black Gun Police "What AR? You can't even see it. :bleh[1]: I'm surprised you can even see me."
Camo is pretty obvious when sitting in church or a bar after hunting. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Haha,I just looked at the pic of the Centermass lower. It's logo is a howling Coyote. SWEET! Looks similar to the CPC logo but flipped. Lower at 10percent
Actually the Centermass comes with several different logos. I got the one that has "California" stamped on it, as in California legal! The coyote is pretty cool though.*******************************************************This is off the subject, but still about logos. I recently traded my 2005 Saturn Vue AWD for a 2008 model. The plates on the old one were "Hare Dog" because I competed in open field coursing with my sighthounds for about 12 years before I got hooked on this coyote thing. They coursed jackrabbits which are really hares. Anyway coming up with a plate associated with predator hunting turned out to be a real challenge. The DMV guy told me that if he found the plate objectionable he could reject it. If he accepted it, it would still be subject to review in Sacramento. He also told me that if a plate was issued and anyone complained that DMV would pull the plate.Once you write the plate name on the application you have to give a short narrative about the meaning of the name. It was a tough job and I finally gave up and returned to worked to give it more thought (yes, I work for the government - thank you tax payers). Ergo, a plate name that would be recognized by predator hunters and still be explainable to anyone questioning the meaning. I go back to DMV and hand the guy the application with the plate name of "DOG DOWN". The guy says, "OK, what does it mean?" He checked the computer and told me that the name was available and asked again what it meant. I told him that I am a K9 obedience trainer and that "down" is a required command in obedience. The guy said, "Wow, I do obedience too and am surprised that someone didn't think of that before". I just smiled and said, "well, you just never know until you try it". Hope to have my new plates in a month or so.Woodog

Actually the Centermass comes with several different logos. I got the one that has "California" stamped on it, as in California legal! The coyote is pretty cool though.*******************************************************This is off the subject, but still about logos. I recently traded my 2005 Saturn Vue AWD for a 2008 model. The plates on the old one were "Hare Dog" because I competed in open field coursing with my sighthounds for about 12 years before I got hooked on this coyote thing. They coursed jackrabbits which are really hares. Anyway coming up with a plate associated with predator hunting turned out to be a real challenge. The DMV guy told me that if he found the plate objectionable he could reject it. If he accepted it, it would still be subject to review in Sacramento. He also told me that if a plate was issued and anyone complained that DMV would pull the plate.Once you write the plate name on the application you have to give a short narrative about the meaning of the name. It was a tough job and I finally gave up and returned to worked to give it more thought (yes, I work for the government - thank you tax payers). Ergo, a plate name that would be recognized by predator hunters and still be explainable to anyone questioning the meaning. I go back to DMV and hand the guy the application with the plate name of "DOG DOWN". The guy says, "OK, what does it mean?" He checked the computer and told me that the name was available and asked again what it meant. I told him that I am a K9 obedience trainer and that "down" is a required command in obedience. The guy said, "Wow, I do obedience too and am surprised that someone didn't think of that before". I just smiled and said, "well, you just never know until you try it". Hope to have my new plates in a month or so.Woodog
Great story about the plate. Once I'm no longer "wanna" I will have to figure out a plate for my rig. :ninja: I too will give it some thought at work (another Gov employee).

Well, if the liberal media did anything it was to state what people have said all along... AR's are legal in CA if done right. I don't care if it is a loop hole or a gaping hole, it is a hole! Even the LEO's that they talked with did not argue that point. Very interesting. I wonder how many people are going to looking into off list lowers after seeing this report on the news? Choppers... :censored[1]:

I hope you are right. I just talked to a friend of mine who is a 15+ year officer with the BPD and on the SWAT team. I explained my config, told him about the flowchart from Calguns.net etc. He basically said "if it's a 10 round fixed mag and you aren't using it on the streets or in a crime, I shouldn't have any problems". I am going to talk to him in the next couple days after he talks with some of the other BPD officers that specialize in this stuff. Hopefully he will come back with good news.I think that whole Oakland thing is a different environment and probably a whole different lifestyle than the people on here. My usage of my firearm while having the capability of providing home defense (which obviously would be used in my home so no DFG or DOJ or LEO to deal with) or I will be using it in a hunting fashion.Plus, I doubt the gang banger homies out there are buying these up and putting bullet buttons on them. :censored[1]: Most if not all gang bangers are buying guns off the street illegaly and wouldn't be able to buy legally, nor do they want to buy legally due to having the gun traced back to them. I guess some people/dealers could be buying them up then selling on the street, but again the guns would get tracked back to them.

Here is my lower with the new Hogue grip on it!!hoguevj9.jpgI'm waiting right now for UPS to bring my upper. :censored[1]:

UPS just showed up!! Man I was like a kid on Christmas morning! I snapped it together and fondled it a bit, then found a spot for it my safe (gettin full) while I go pick up some dinner for me and my son.I'll try to get some pics up tonight and hopefully get the scope mounted. I plan to tear it down tomorrow and give it a thorough cleaning. Man this thing is pretty light. I'll try to get it on a scale tonight for you Woodog. :653::drinks::censored[1]::yahoo: :signs1242cn:EDIT:Here are the pics:upperfs3.jpgnoscopets6.jpgnoscope2dl2.jpgI won't be able to get the scope on until tomorrow night. I'll get some pics up of it finished with scope tomorrow or Saturday. I also need to put the comp on, but I was thinking of waiting and changing it Saturday when out sighting in.Woodog, I have some good news......this thing weighs 6lb 2.7oz with an empty 10rd magazine and no scope. Now if it just shoots well, we will be in business. :)

Bump for added pics! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Woodog, I have some good news......this thing weighs 6lb 2.7oz with an empty 10rd magazine and no scope. Now if it just shoots well, we will be in business. :drinks:
Now that's exactly what I'm looking for. Very, very nice! Bring your parts list Saturday. Are you shooting those photos in your bathroom? :censored[1]: Hey you guys, how long should you let the barrel cool between shots with this thing while sighting in or shooting groups? It's going to be around 70 degrees and sunny tomorrow. My Keltec SU-16A goes away very fast as the barrel heats up.Woodog

Now that's exactly what I'm looking for. Very, very nice! Bring your parts list Saturday. Are you shooting those photos in your bathroom? :censored[1]: Hey you guys, how long should you let the barrel cool between shots with this thing while sighting in or shooting groups? It's going to be around 70 degrees and sunny tomorrow. My Keltec SU-16A goes away very fast as the barrel heats up.Woodog
Will do. :drinks: Those pics are actually in my office. :yahoo: I talked with Killem all (he has a top loading AR with a 16" barrel) he has posted some nice groups when out sighting in his. He said he had let the barrel cool for 5-10 minutes when he shot his good group of 4. He said it was approx. two seconds between shots.I may try to pick up another type/box of 223. I only have the 45gn Winchester Varmints and I wanted to somewhat compare accuracy once this thing is sighted in.Hey just in case I forget to bring it on Saturday:Parts List:DPMS LPK -- a guy on AR15.com $52Adjustable stock -- Derek dhobkirk@hawaii.rr.com on AR15.com $50 (got a discount for military)Stag-15 Model 3H Pre-Ban Flat-Top 16" Barrel Chrome Lined 1-9 -- AR15Sales.com $449Hogue Pistol Grip -- MidwayUSA.com $15 Levang Comp (Haven't added yet) -- MidwayUSA.com $25C Products 10rd Mag -- AR15Sales.com $18Millet Angle-loc High Rings -- Natchezss.com $20Bushnell Browning 3-9x40 Scope (same as Elite 3200) -- Natchezss.com $130For a grand total of:$794 without Optics$944 with Optics

I think 10 Percent sells the BB, extended take-down pin and a mag as a set for a little discount if anyone else wants to go that route on their build. Just FYI.