Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tutorial for changing your reeds

2 posts in this topic

A question came up about changing the reeds(properly called tone boards) on a closed reed call. The tone board is the complete assembly while the reed is the small sliver of metal that vibrates when air passes over it. The question was whether one carried a spare, and if so, how to change it. I am going to try, with a few pictures, to show you how the call is constructed and how to change the tone board if you have to. Once you know how to do it, if you carry a spare, and you have a problem, it is an easy change to make. But be warned, the little reed on the tone board is very fragile, and if you bend it too much, the tone board is useless. OK, here we go. First of all, what does the tone board assembly inside the call look like? Well, it consists of a sleeve to hold the tone board and then the tone board itself.The sleeve.RCT4.jpgApproximate location within the call body of the sleeve.RCT5.jpgWhat the small tone board looks like. First the single reed.RCT2.jpgNext the double reed. Notice the dimples on the end, to keep the top reed separated from the lower reed.RCT3.jpgA simple tool you can make for extraction and insertion. It is just a 1/4" dowel sanded down at the end to fit inside the sleeve. Do several like this at home and carry them along with the spare reed. Be sure and keep the dry, or coat it with varnish, or it will swell and not be usable when you need it.RCT1.jpgTo remove the tone board, put your dowel up from the bell end.RCT7.jpgGently push and the tone board will come out in your hand.RCT8.jpgThen to insert the new reed, just reverse the procedure. Drop the new reed into the mouth of the call, with the slotted end going in first. Gently shake it until the tone board slips into the opening of the sleeve. Then using your push stick, gently push the tone board into the sleeve.RCT9.jpgYou can push it in most of the way or all the way as shown in these two pictures of the tone board actually in the sleeve.RCT10.jpgRCT11.jpgNow I know the question is nagging at some of you what is the difference in the single reed and double reed. Besides the obvious difference of on reed and two reeds, it is in the sound. The high pitch cottontail that I have been putting in the calls is mostly of the double reed type. The Jack sounds usually come from a single reed. Mostly what I use are, for the Cottontail, the double reed, LVDR 025, which is Loud Voice Double Reed .025mm thick. The Jack is the single reed, LV 002, or Loud Voice, .002mm thick.Another thing that may happen to you. The tone board may just fall out. By itself. What you can do to solve that, if it does happen to you is to expand the end so it is a tighter fit. Notice, in the pictures of the tone boards, the slit in the bottom portion. Just slip a knife blade into the slit, and gently open it up just a bit. Then when you put it back into the sleeve, it will be a nice tight fit.I hope this answers most of the questions. You can order extra reed by going to Look under the Quick Links and you will see Calling Accessories. Click on the little arrow to bring up the table and click on Reed Kits, under Call Makers Supplies. You can go directly to Bulk Reeds also, but I don't think you want to buy 25 at a time. :blink: The other option is to contact me and I can probably get a reed or two in the mail to you for a bit less than they charge. And you won't need sleeves, as they are already glued into the call body. If you have any questions, post away and I'll try and answer them or send me a PM and I'll get back to you.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0