Cranky Farmer

What can be built on a Remington 700 Mag action?

118 posts in this topic

Not yet, I had been busy at work. I'm taking it slow. I'll take a couple of days off next week to spend it on the range for load development. I have 4 different powder to try on the 300 SMK. (Retumbo, Reloader 25, H1000 and VVN570).

This is late in coming but as many of you know I have picked up and fired this new rifle of mine. I made it down to pick it up the day before the family and I started our drive to Missouri for vacation. Scott had some ammo loaded for me and we went out to the range so that I could shoot this new cannon of mine. The rifle was already on paper and printing within an inch of POI when I got there so all I needed to do was load it and pull the trigger!P1010480.jpgP1010481.jpgWe couldn't put a target up at 300 yards due to a cowboy action shoot that was in progress so I shot paper at 100 yards and played with the steel out at 400 and 500 yards. I was a little nervous at the first shot because I didn't know what to expect. After squeezing off the first round and killing a gallon can of water I was amazed at the low the recoil on this rifle! I have no doubt that my 308 kicks more than this rifle!th_P1010481-1.jpgA quick three shot group produced a group just over 1/4" !! Not too shabby considering this is a new rifle and this is the first load that his been tried.Once we were done playing Scott was gracious enough to allow me use his reloading equipment to load up a few rounds to take back to Missouri with me. We polished off the last of what remained of the pound of H 1000 and ended up with about 25 rounds for the Missouri trip.P1010381.jpgP1010384.jpgOnce in Missouri I set up the Lapua and started to make salad.th_watermelon-vs-338-Lapua.jpgth_melon-vs-338-Lapua.jpgThis rifle is an absolute joy to shoot. The trigger is as smooth as silk and even though it weighs 14 pounds it is very well balanced and handles extremely well. I can't wait to take a deer with it this fall and even to just spend some time working up a load for long distance shooting.

It sure is and I can't wait to smoke a coyote with it. I tried while I was in MO but all the rain and the things I needed to get accomplished kept me from getting out as much as I would have liked.

It looks like you'll have a chance in a couple of months when you go back again. It sure does a number on the produce! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Those are so cool. To bad you don't get the full effect of the explosion on video. But it's still neat! That stuff is way to much fun. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Beautiful, that's just beautiful. How do you like that chambering now?

Here is my target from my first time out shooting this rifle and my first attempt at shooting a group. I think I will do better as I become accustomed to the rifle.P6110066.jpg

Not bad at all. If those are more than two shots, then the problem is in you cheek placement. You probably need to install cheek piece so that you can bring the eye and scope alignment better. Just a recommendation.

That's three shots in the center target. The one on the left was me adjusting the elevation. I will look into a cheek piece.

Heath,You all are havin too much fun with that rifle gun. You've gotta get back to the serious things in life. Like finding a melon patch you can take some 1500 yd shots at, jest fer a serious ballistics study. Yeah, that sounds good. You might get a govt grant to do a study on the terminal ballistics effects on watermelon and other types of melons when shot with a 338 Lapua vs the effects of the 300 Win Mag. Throw some money into your proposal fer an assistant and I'll come spot fer ya. :drinks:

I shot a couple deer with this rifle this year. LOL ... I hate to admit that the first animal I shot with this long rage rifle was inside 50 yards.

Mine haven't drawn blood yet!!!! but it did terrorized all the rocks on the sorrounding hills. :good:

What calibers can be built on a Remington 700 Magnum action?
With a new barrel any long action caliber you want