Cranky Farmer

What can be built on a Remington 700 Mag action?

118 posts in this topic

I'm sorry too Heath.
No worries, I am the king of hijacking a thread. Besides, my question got answered so it's fair game. It looks like Pac-Nor chambers 338 Lapua so I just need to decide what contour I want to go with. I don't want to go too crazy with it as I'll probably take it out to shoot a deer or other critter with it... I can't help but wanting to hunt with what I've got.I am going to do this one slowly one piece at a time, so I won't have it complete any time soon. That will give me time to work out what I want / need.

I can't help but wanting to hunt with what I've got.
This is exactly what my dilemma on this build. Weight is an issue but not the deciding factor. This is going to be a specialized long range rig capable of harvesting games at considerable distance. This rifle is going to be fed with a steady diet of 300 SMK. At 2900 fps, the Sierra with a B.C of .780 will remain supersonic up to 1700 yards and still retain an energy of over 1000lbs. With 100 yards zero, it would take 57 MOA of elevation to get there. No coyote will be safe within a mile radius. :roflmao3[1]: Heath, let me know if I of any help.

That will be one helluva rig. Will it be a repeater or a single shot?

My buddy just bought a Blaser lr2 sniper in .338 Lapua for harvesting elk at very long range. Plus with the interchangeable barrels and bolts he can chamber it in all kinds of fun things. Can't wait to get out and shoot that rifle here in the next couple of months.darren

That will be one helluva rig. Will it be a repeater or a single shot?
CD, That's still under consideration. I could do either. With slight modification on the 700 reciever I could install Wyatt extended magazine that could house cartridges with an OAL of 3.820. I really like the 338 Lapua route due to better quality brass but my gunsmith never chambered one using the Model 700 Action. He is kind of leery about it. A friend however have a reamer for 338/300 Ultra Mag that he ordered when he built his. Actually the 338/300 Ultra has 3% more water capacity than the 338 Lapua. His rig can easily reach 2850 on a 30" K&P barrel using the 300 SMK without pressure sign whatsoever. I believe I could top that with my 30" Mike Rock Barrel using a much slower powder like he Reloader 25 or the Retumbo. He used IMR 7828. I'll be happy with 2900 fps. I have everything except the action. I want this rifle ready for A zone opening day this year.

Here's what I gathered so far. I have the stock, barrel, trigger and bottom metal. I'm still waiting for the action.Picture093-1.jpgHere's the round... next to 50 BMG, 308 and 223.Picture095.jpg

Hmmm. A 338/300um would be nice but you wouldn't be able to use factory 338 ulta mag ammo in a pinch. If you did you'd end up with about .010 to much headspace. Then again, anybody who goes thru the trouble of building a custom rifle always has a good supply of handloads that are tailored to that rifle. There is also a definite cool factor in being able to say that you shoot a 338 Lapua.

Heath, let me know if I of any help.
Why did you go with that barrel? I se Pac Nor has one in the same twist and I could get them to flute it to reduce the weight.

Why did you go with that barrel? I se Pac Nor has one in the same twist and I could get them to flute it to reduce the weight.
Mike Rock barrel are cut rifled. He is the only one besides Boots Obermeyer who makes barrel with 5R rifling. A lot of tactical rifle builder use his barrel for their 308 and 338 Lapua build. Nothing wrong with Pac-nor. As a matter of fact my 308 has Pac-Nor barrel. Their barrel are button rifled and has very uniform twist.

I see one thing wrong with it . Your going to shoot a A zone deer with it. At a great distance. Buy the time you git to it the condors will of ate it up. :good::yikes[1]::) And then you will have to kill a condor for choking on the bottle cap he found next to the deer :):) Hope you have it soon I whant pics of the damage it dos. sounds like a great rifle.

Here's a sample of what these type of rifle can do. This was done with 338 Edge, same as 338/300 RUM. Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge took this shot in Idaho. The Edge is built around Model 700 Action but utilized the HS Precision Stock, to keep the weight at 16lbs... the Idaho maximum weight limit for a hunting rifle. These type of hunting requires a very accurate rifle, a meticulous handloading practice, a thorough understanding of exterior ballistics, accurate rangefinder, an accurate ballistic programs and lots and lots of practice.

Here's good read for those who are interested in this type of hunting. Dan Lilja of Lija Barrel wrote it.http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/longr...ing_hunting.htm

DF, I assume that you know someone with a 338 Lapua to get that info on a 300 grain bullet and it reaching 2900 fps? How different from a 338 Remington Mag is the Lapua? Is it worth the extra $$$ to buy the proprietary brass and related components for the Lapua?Thanks.

Heath, All else being equal, 338 Lapua have a slight edge when compared with 338 Ultra, probably a difference of 70 to 85 fps advantage. Lot's of published data for the Lapua are very conservative. You seldom find published velocity for the 300 SMK exceeding 2800 fps just because most of the rifle chambered for this round are the Tactical type with no more than 26" barrel lenght. With 30 inch barrel you could easily exceed that. Brass quality on the Lapua is excellent but now that Nosler is making the Ultra brass, that should not be an issue anymore. My buddy and I look into these when he first contemplated on building his rifle. We went into the 338/300 Ultra route to equal Lapua performance on a budget. As you are aware already that everything about the Lapua is expensive. I might still take this route in my build though. I just found out that the wait for a TAC 338 Action from Stiller Precision out of Texas is only 2 months. This action has the Model 700 blueprint with slightly beefier bolt made just for Lapua and slightly longer barrel tenon thread for long barrel.

I believed Lapua is much more efficient. Brass are a bit stronger and can withstand more pressure than the RUM brass, therefore will last longer. Lapua is now adopted by almost all the military snipers in Europe and in the US, so you know what that mean. Any cartridge adopted by uncle Sam will be a winner. Talk to Kevin Wyatt, maker of the Wyatt extended magazine from Oregon this morning and I really like the guy. He spend a couple of minutes talking to me about rifle in general. Very knowledgeable so I decided to send my rifle to him for chambering, as soon as the action arrive.

It' s going to be an MTU contour and will have 6 deep flute on the barrel to reduce weight by about a pound. I found another gunsmith that can chamber it to 338 Lapua Improve. Regular Lapua round has a lot taper for my liking. The gunsmith will have custom die made specifically for my rifle. He will be using Hornady blank die with replaceable neck sizer like the Reddings. I probably replace the Williams Bottom with either HS Precision or the Wyatt Detachable Magazine. The action is allready here and I'm just waiting for the Cooper to arrive to do the paper work at the same time. Have the option of making this rifle a dual caliber also. I might do that since I will be ordering another bolt for this rifle anyway just for the Lapua. I was thinking of 30-06 Ackley Improved. That would be neat.

Marksmanship Training Unit (USMC). Same contour as the M40A3 Marine Sniper rifle.

Finding a good left handed stock is proving to be VERY difficult so far. So basically I am still looking at a few synthetic options before just going with a wood stock.

The action finally arrived. The blueprinting was terrific and bolt is smooth... almost no wobble. Now off to the gunsmith.Picture087-1.jpgPicture086-1.jpg

Yep! still waiting for the Lawton though. It will be here next week. I can then decide which one will be for the Lapua and which one for 30-06 Ackley Improved, which I'm contemplating to build also. Both action are almost identical.