Stiff Neck

Tumblers

20 posts in this topic

Anybody have any input on purchasing my first tumbler and what type of media to use? Right now I'm leaning towards the RCBS, but only because I like green better than Red (Hornady). Is there any major difference between the major brands?

I've got four vibratory and two rotary tumblers. They are all pretty good. I like the Frankfort Arsenal ones, but I have Hornady and one RCBS. My rotary tumblers are both Loratone and I've had them both over twenty-five years. For average cleaning the vibratory ones are the fastest. Fine crushed walnut is good with a polish added. I do several cleaning steps and to get the Imperial Sizing Wax off the cases I polish them in corn cob. :)

Don't get a Lyman. I just participated in a discussion about tumblers and several people, including myself, reported early failures with Lyman. A17Shooter

I got a green one.
That would be RCBS. Not a bad choice considering you live near their plant. :rolleyes:

You should go up to the plant sometime. I remember my first tour there in 1968. It was awesome and i got my first real reloader there. :rolleyes:

I didn't know they did tours and I only live 3 miles away. :rolleyes:

I'll drop by there in a few days and ask. I am out of town tomorrow.

Sorry guys but RCBS doesn't do tours anymore due to insurance liabilities. I almost got a yes when I said it was a club group but the final answer was no. The woman did say we could always come to work there. They said they stopped the tours just a couple of years ago. The last group that went through was the gunsmith school from Susanville, CA. Darn I was really hoping to get us a tour. :D

I use the large Ultra-vibe 1800 the red one. So now we got green, red, and yellowLOL..Walt

I also use the Forester, and it's Blue!

If you load for 17 or 20 calibers cartridges be especially careful about cleaning media being stuck in the case. On one occassion, the examination of a high pressure load resulted in a few highly compressed pieces of corncob falling out of the fired case. :blink: With those cases I lube the neck very lightly and check each case, with a pick, to be sure that no cleaning media is stuck in the case. Better safe than sorry.A17Shooter

Yep and it doesn't even have to be a small necked case. You should see some of the chunks that can get in your cases. I like to run my flash hole de-burrer into them to be safe. It seems to knock most everything that shouldn't be there out. Along with some huge pieces of brass every once in a while, courtesy of the manufacturer. I have a little air nozzle for previously done cases that blows most everything out too. I also run my media through sieves too so that I don't get any large pieces. :blink:

I've just discovered the joys of getting media stuck in all the primer pockets and flash holes of my new unprimed brass. :)
Fun huh! :o I tumble a couple of times in my reloading so you may want to sift your media to help prevent that. I also tumble with different types of media. Crushed fine walnut shell charged with polish in the first go around. Then fine corncob to remove the case lube later an final high polish. ;)