rr762mmfmj

High capacity magazines

45 posts in this topic

OK, please un-confuse me. I am under the impression that any high capacity mag built prior to the ban is legal to own and use in CA. So, how do I tell if the mag is pre-ban? I have access to a couple of 30 round AR15 mags that were discarded by the military in the 80's.Thanks

LOL, Didn't you say you know what your doing? Sorry, just had to say it. The way I understand it is that if you owned it before the ban it is ok to use it. I do believe they date stamp some of these.

For what it's worth, talking about this kind of thing, and saying you bought such and such, just isn't too smart. Don't you realize that there are people that monitor these kinds of sites, and you may be putting yourself in harms way? The smart thing is to never say anything on the internet that you would not be willing to say directly to the authorities. If it were my post, I would be tempted to edit it. Just my opinion.

Good point. There is no privacy on the open Internet.

For my way of thinking, as long as I live in Commiefornia, its not worth it to me to keep questionable firearm parts like Hi Cap mags..I'd love one for my Mini..but, one over zealous Barney Fyfe type of cop could make life miserable.. Im gonna wait till I get to a " Free" State! lol

LOL, Didn't you say you know what your doing? Sorry, just had to say it. The way I understand it is that if you owned it before the ban it is ok to use it. I do believe they date stamp some of these.
I know what I'm doing after I educate myself :rofl2:

I don't have the magazines, I am attempting to gain information as to the legality of acquiring them. They were offered to me, in another state, I said "no thanks, not until I find out if it is legal for me to own in CA"Anyone can monitor my posts, I have not a single item that is illegal or unregistered, it isn't worth it. If it's OK to have them I may have them sent. I am more interested in the convenience of carry, my rifle carries 2-10 round magazines in the stock or 1-30 round magazine. Anyone here that has read my post's know I am about the one single accurate shot and have made fun of the rapid fire guys. So, back on track here, does anyone know where I can gain the information I need?Thanks

I had three 30 round mags but ended up taking a hammer to them after my son was charged with three felonies for posession. The DA finally told the PD to return them to me but it's just not worth the hassel

When I moved back to "the Motherland" afew months ago, I sold my Hi-Cap XD mags (5) on Craigslist to another guy back in NV, and then bought the Legal 10 rounders, just to keep legal. I dont know what 2 rounds would make a difference, but according to CDOJ it does. Course, I can carry as many magazines on my hip as I want. Dont make sense, does it??

For the record, I own a sling shot..
Just don't shoot it here in La Verne as that is against the regs here. Sold my sling shot so that I wouldn't get charged ;)Darren

Ok, if you owned the high cap mags before the ban it is ok to keep/use them. If you aquire them in any way after that it is illegal to have them. You can not bring them into Calif. from someplace else. Many of the post ban high cap mags are marked from the manfacturer as for law enforcement or military use only.

As far as I know if you can "PROVE" its preban its legal but I know around here barney fifes assume its illegal and its up to you to "PROVE" its legal and then if you do its still hell getting them to give it back to you.

OK then its a done deal, I told them to throw them in the trash. I don't need them bad enough to have to prove that I am not breaking the law. Thanks for the input.

CA Penal Code says it is illegal to:12020. (2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.It is not against the law to own them.Read strictly by the letter of the law there is nothing illegal about finding normal (high) capacity magazines in the trash and keeping them.

As far as I know if you can "PROVE" its preban its legal but I know around here barney fifes assume its illegal and its up to you to "PROVE" its legal and then if you do its still hell getting them to give it back to you.
You guys kill me sometimes. Do you only refer to us LEO's, (there a a few that are CPC members), as "Barney Fifes" when YOU need a cop, or only when they are doing thier job upholding the laws of this state which you may not agree with? We just enforce the laws as enacted by people elected by who.... Us who vote.

Well said dude. LEOs have a hard and sometimes unpopular job to do. Disrespecting someone for doing his job isn't cool. I truly believe that the majority of LEOs do not agree with the gun laws in this state. When they enforce them, they are just doing their job.

I dont have a problem with law enforcment.Most of my gunsmith customers are law enforcment.But its like anything else it takes one bad apple to make the rest look bad in the publics eye.

Being as how I have worked in gun shops and sold guns and talked to numerous LEO's, Agents for ATF & DOJ I fully believe that the real problem is in the way that the laws are written. You need to have a degree in law to be able to understand the laws.--jim d

You guys kill me sometimes. Do you only refer to us LEO's, (there a a few that are CPC members), as "Barney Fifes" when YOU need a cop, or only when they are doing thier job upholding the laws of this state which you may not agree with? We just enforce the laws as enacted by people elected by who.... Us who vote.
Unfortunately, almost every single encounter I've had with an officer, they've had a real bad attitude and the problem was either not taken care of or worsened on my end. The problem is there are SO MANY "bad apple" cops, that the "good apples" seem to be the minority. The laws have too many grey areas that the LEO's can twist around in any way that best suits them and many times when they take inappropriate actions, it is simply excused because "they were just doing their job". LEO's are nothing more than human beings doing a job, they are no more or less important than a janitor or a CEO. The difference is if the janitor or CEO slips up, they are held accountable. Yes, LEO's "lay their lives on the line" everyday, but so do a whole lot of other workers only they don't get the pay & benefits to compensate for it. Many officers see themselves as elitists but need to realize they are just the same as every other law abiding citizen. Their job is "To protect and to SERVE"!!!To any LEO's on this board, if you follow the laws and respect your job, congratulations and this shouldn't offend you. But if you are offended by it, maybe you need to take a step back and reconsider your attitude & actions. It's only a job & a shiny piece of metal on your chest. It does not make you better than everyone else, it does not mean the laws do not apply to you, it does not make you the judge, jury, & exectutioner, and it does not give you a free pass to treat people like dog poop.

100% wrongThe burden of proof is on the State to prove that you sold, imported, manufactured or borrowed the magazines after 1 Jan, 2000.Read the law, it is not illegal to own them, find them or buy them.