Iron Worker

Remington Safari Grade 700s

28 posts in this topic

Came across an Classified add for two safari Grade Rem 700s in 375 H&H Mag and the other one in 416 Remington Magnum. He wants $700.00 a piece. But he said cash talks. These rifles were purchased in 1990 the 416 has had 10 rnds thru it the 375 has had 20. He has stored them since(I guess 16 years) I told him I want the 375. Is $700 bucks a good price. This guy is retired he said he might take $1,350.00 for both of them.Sounds like he's hard up for cash.What would be a good offer :blink:

Larry, do you really want or need them first of all? I've got a couple of Winchester pre 64 Model 70 African guns. They were given to me by my uncle who traveled the world extensively hunting big game. My favorite is the 375 H&H, but I've never found a game to use it on. Just a thought but those are big guns for varmint hunting. :blink:

Those are cannon's Larry, not to mention I bet they deal punishment on both ends.
They're not a comfortable round to shoot. But you never know when Larry might come up against a mean ground squirrel! ;) The interesting thing about a .375 H&H is the trajectory is identical to a .30-06 but double the bullet weight. :lol:

Larry, do you really want or need them first of all? I've got a couple of Winchester pre 64 Model 70 African guns. They were given to me by my uncle who traveled the world extensively hunting big game. My favorite is the 375 H&H, but I've never found a game to use it on. Just a thought but those are big guns for varmint hunting. :lol:
Shooter John you have a very good question,I had a Interarms Mark X in 375 mag 20 years ago.(Dang Time passes fast) It was very accurate and it kicked so hard it was funny.I absoulutly don't need it.My gun safe is full now.But! But its a good deal,so what I don't need it. Dang I'd half to mount a scope,buy dies,put a mussel brake on it .For what? What I'd have ligitmate use for would be a .204 Rugar.I'd like to get a gun that goes bang with next to no recoil..... Back to the Safari. I think this guy is hard up for cash.Would it be cruel to offer $550.00. He told me cash talks.I mean I could put a scope on it next year. I could remove a shelf in Gun safe..... Hows that for e-mailing my thouights? He says the 416 has the coolest piece of wood he's seen on a Remington.
I knew a guy that used a 375 H&H on our local deer...Those are cannon's Larry, not to mention I bet they deal punishment on both ends.
Hey how's your 204 doing? Have you shot it yet? Zero recoil?

Larry Did you buy? If you didn't let me know cause I may be interested. Planning on going to Africa shortly. Dale

Larry Did you buy? If you didn't let me know cause I may be interested. Planning on going to Africa shortly. Dale
Hey I'll find the paper I wrote it on. Its some where aropund here. I would really like one of those,but there are 10,000 ligimite things I really need. Dang I wish I was rich.Looks like a really good deal.

Ironworker made me do it. Bought both those Bad Boyz today. I think that .416 Rem. Mag could launch a fragmentation device that possibly could be the new wave in weapons of mass varmint destruction and it would be easier for the buzzards to find me due to the noise. I admit it, probably not the smartest thing I ever done but I'm now ready for an African Safari, however my shoulder may not want to go. Dale

Ironworker made me do it. Bought both those Bad Boyz today. I think that .416 Rem. Mag could launch a fragmentation device that possibly could be the new wave in weapons of mass varmint destruction and it would be easier for the buzzards to find me due to the noise. I admit it, probably not the smartest thing I ever done but I'm now ready for an African Safari, however my shoulder may not want to go. Dale
EZ recoil pad and a muzzel brake will do wonders.

Hey Dale, you and I could have a Winchester (mine) vs. Remington (yours) 375 H&H Magnum squirrel shoot off. The problem is we'd probably just get one shot off and there wouldn't be anymore squirrels out all day. :)

Hey about shooting squirrels with a 375 H&H, I had a 375 once and shot some small game with it. Believe it or not it does nothing spictacular cause really the bullet isn't really moving that fast compared to our varminter. Plus its a dangerous round for varmints cause no bullet expoloed upon hitting any thing even a rock.So you have a 300gr bullet bounceing all around.reMember Cedarville nothing bigger than?Yeah I shot a STARLING with a 375 all it did was put a hole thru him!No "Blow ups"

Heath No I just got the .375 H&H scoped and going to pick it up today. I also need to borrow 100 lbs. of lead for my lead sled to sight in and find out how that bad boy kicks. I've got a aim point laser sighter but no 375 attachment which I need to order. Lot's of excuses. It's a little intimidating as you can well imagine.

Heath No I just got the .375 H&H scoped and going to pick it up today. I also need to borrow 100 lbs. of lead for my lead sled to sight in and find out how that bad boy kicks. I've got a aim point laser sighter but no 375 attachment which I need to order. Lot's of excuses. It's a little intimidating as you can well imagine.
Hey Bro Whats this about 100lbs of lead? Hey you need to get a muzzel brake installed. They will reduce recoil better than 50%. Plus a EZ recoild pad. A 375 isn't that bad.With Muzzel brake (Vias) is top notch on that 416 you'll be just fine but with out you'll be cussing me out.

I have a Winchester Pre 64 Model 70 in 375 H&H Magnum. It's not that bad to shoot and has a trajectory almost identical to a 30-06. Except that it's throwing 300 grain bullets. :) Dale, just pull the bolt and look down the barrel and scope. No need for fancy laser thingy. :)

Yes! I actually got it from my uncle as a present from his safari collection of guns. I shot a good sized black bear with it and two fairly large hogs. The animals dropped instantly. But I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer or elk with it either. It's just a nice shooting gun, but mine is open sights so you can't get carried away.

They actually don't recommend putting muzzle brakes on african guns due to the noise. I've heard that it is considered rude to have one on a rifle in Africa due to the PH's and trackers ear damage.