ShooterJohn

Power case trimming

42 posts in this topic

That's true the Giraud is far better. But for those odd occasional cartridges that I still load for I can't get rid of it as it's a great little tool to have around the loading bench.

Yes, my educated guess on how much material I've removed isn't as accurate as the Giraud. I ordered the hold and cutter head for my 300 Win, too!

Hi all!New guy here... I come from the .50bmg world and have used the Giraud trimmer for some time.I started with the RCBS hand cranked, then Lyman motorized, then a Gracey...and the Giraud is by far the best I've used. Also just installed Doug's motor/cutter upgrade kit for the Gracey and that has made it worth using once again!For those still wondering how well the Giraud operates, here's a short video I did of mine trimming 1/10" from a .50BMG case mouth. (prepping them for a .50DTC wildcat conversion)right-click, save as: Giraud TrimmerGreat Forum ya'll have here!//Ben

Welcome aboard Ben. Good to have ya here.

Welcome, Ben.... 50 BMG? too cool!
Thanks all for kind welcome!Me 'n Ma at the range:ben_m2hb05.jpg

Hey Ben, Nice video trimming the .50's but you've got that thing sideways and they're supposed to go in from the top. ;) That way the cuttings fall down and away from the cutter head. You only need to lay it on it's side to change the cutters. :lol:

Doug Giraud said he better rewrite his instructions as it seems too many people are using his machine on it's side like a Gracey which is wrong! :D:D

Shooterjohn I have been looking at the Giraud Case trimmer for about 2 years.But my lingering question is when case triming do I have to full length resize the case or can I trim by just neck sizeing the case.Thanks for the help? :lol:

Shooterjohn I have been looking at the Giraud Case trimmer for about 2 years.But my lingering question is when case triming do I have to full length resize the case or can I trim by just neck sizeing the case.Thanks for the help? :)
What smallblockfuelie said. ;) One of my trimmers is set for neck sized cases only. :)

Hey Ben, Nice video trimming the .50's but you've got that thing sideways and they're supposed to go in from the top. :) That way the cuttings fall down and away from the cutter head. You only need to lay it on it's side to change the cutters. ;)
;) What! No way! Seriously, after all those years of using the Gracey, trying to use the Giraud in the upright position just feels wrong to me! Doesn't seem to make any difference other than I have to empty it a bit sooner.
Ben,Can I add your video to the downloads section located HERE?
Sure, be my guest! I suppose I should make one with it operating in the vertical position too! :)

:) What! No way! Seriously, after all those years of using the Gracey, trying to use the Giraud in the upright position just feels wrong to me! Doesn't seem to make any difference other than I have to empty it a bit sooner.
That's what Doug said is the main problem. People try to use it the same way as the Gracey. The problem is the cuttings drop back into where the case shoulder is and doesn't allow for precise case trimming. Even if you empty it sooner. Plus have you noticed you're always pushing the machine around. By turning it upright and putting the case down into the machine you aren't going to push it away from you. :)

Last night I got the ol Giraud unit setup to trim my 25 WSSM. He doesn't make a case holder for it so I had to buy a blank and get a buddy of mine to cut it with a reamer. Works great!