Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeff

Buffalo with Air rifle

11 posts in this topic

I saw this over on The High Road.

Pretty large caliber air rifles that seem to "do the trick."

That's pretty amazing. Still, I prefer something with a little more kick for large game that size unless I'm in a sturdy, tall tree.

These days?How about 1803?
I stand corrected. Thats pretty interesting reading.I grew up w/ a "Red Ryder" & thought I was the shiz on the block. lol

Some years ago the American Rifleman ran an article on that air rifle. And the internet, being what it has evolved to, had more history than I remembered about it. :) Two hundred years ago they had a repeating air rifle that could be used for deer hunting.

Supposedly someone has the Lewis & Clark gun somewhere.I think it was a 44 cal 10 shot repeater that amazed the indians and was one of the main reasons they didnt kill them.

Air rifles can cream cottontails, bullfrogs, and squirrels at up to fifty yards. A .25 caliber air rifle with groin-ripping cocking effort can kill a crow at seventy-five yards in low wind if its feathers are ruffled. Gunpowder is actually more potent than air power. Air rifle hunting represents an artform in stalking and creates a sport of its own. A .223 Remington takes the sport out of using a seventy-five air-powered hail Mary shot at a crow. Vaporization and fluttering black feathers will seldom if ever be witnessed by airgunners. Air rifles have their distinct value within the confines of a barn filled with livestock, or on an English countryside where firearms are illegal. I'm pro air-power, except where it isn't necessary or illegal.