PredatorMaster

Looking to buy a 22 semi auto pistol

33 posts in this topic

I don't think you can go wrong with the Rugers. I have the 22/45 and love it.

I was going to suggest the Smith & Wesson model 41. I have several of them even an Olympic model that they only made 500 of. But I did a search as to their cost and I decided it's to far out of your price range. Man I'm glad I bought those things more than 20 years ago. <_<

browning buckmark has some models under $400, I'm also looking for 22 semi for a while but still can make up my mind.

I have the Ruger with the 5" bull barrel, what a great pistol!

I like the Rugers but I am open to suggestions. Not looking to spend more than $400.
What will be the primary purpose of this pistol? Then we can make some suggestions.

My brother has a ruger and I have a buckmark. After pouring thousands of rounds thru each we both like the buckmark best. The grip and trigger feel really nice. The part that I like most about it is that when the slide comes back it leaves the action open on both sides. This is very helpfull when you have to clear a jam (it also helps keep the action clean because the gasses and unburned powder can escape from both sides). You just pull it open and push out the problem shell with your finger whereas with the ruger sometimes requires the use of a pocket knife or a key to reach into the port to free up a problem shell. There are many more custom parts for the ruger. You can't go wrong with either one. If I were looking to buy a 22 pistol with the intent of adding a bunch of aftermarket parts I'd get the ruger, but if I were looking to buy a pistol and leave it as-is I would get the browning.

Does it have to be new? A buddy of mine just located and purchased one of these: Sig/Hammerli. Even with it's lighter weight, it shoots well enough to use in NRA conventional pistol matches and is good for the field also. If you can find one.

Does it have to be new? A buddy of mine just located and purchased one of these: Sig/Hammerli. Even with it's lighter weight, it shoots well enough to use in NRA conventional pistol matches and is good for the field also. If you can find one.
Thanks

I have a Smith and Wesson, but can't remember the model...it shoots well enough and I know it wasn't too expensive.

Do they still make the Colt Woodsman? If so, that gun was a real winner as far as semi auto 22s go.

I've been shooting Ruger Mark I and Mark II's since the early 80's and have never had any problems with them. I have two and my Dad has three. You can't beet them. :censored[1]:

As plentiful as they are, I would pick up a used Ruger MKII 5.5" bull barrel with target sights. I think you will pay around $225? I have several browning shotguns, no pistols. In 40 years of pistol competition, I have never seen a competitive Browning .22 pistol on the firing line. That tells me a lot. I have seen 9mm HP's in IDPL though. Lots of accessories available for the Ruger also. Like holsters that hold an extra mag, trigger/sear kits, sights, optical sight mounts, extended mag releases, etc. More bang for the buck with the Ruger. Don't get me wrong, I am not a cheerleader fro Ruger, although I have one, I fire a High Standard in competition.

get a used High Standard from an individual, an old timer who bought it long ago and thinks he got it cheap. he didnt, the money is not worth much now, but a High Standard is.

Love my Ruger MK 2. Just a fun little pistol.FIL went the next step and got a Ruger Mark 3 with the target barrel. He put a fancy little red dot sight on it. Lots of fun for plinking and or shooting pests, but not as handy to carry. Mine is not tapped for scope mounts, but I know his came that way. Something to check on.Never had a problem with any Ruger pistol, can't say the same for the Browning I used to have. Got a Ruger Single Six as well, I think everyone should have one of those as well, fun guns.

In the military I had all the navy match weapons for the shooting team in my armory so I could use them and had 10 match high standards to choose from and they shot great.