Desert Fox

Portable Shooting Bench

22 posts in this topic

Here's the ultimate in shooting bench portability. Tested and sturdy enough for longrange shooting. Legs are adjustable for uneven ground. No patent pending, so you can make your own. Materials can be found at your local Home Depot...Picture044.jpgPicture041.jpgPicture040.jpg

Now you are saying that Home Depot has those legs? What section? I think I can find the plywood though. :horse apples:

Braz, It's there. It is a metal sawhorse. Asked a store help or the manager. I drilled 3 holes through the 1/2" plywood and the sawhorse and bolt them together. The thing weigh around 25 lbs.

That looks sharp! Might have to build one like that in the near future.Darren

I've had the same sawhorses at home for some time now. I may just have to convert one of them into a rest. I think I've got a fat piece of plywood laying around as well. A few bolts and wingnuts and it'll come apart in no time when I've got to use the sawhorse for, well, sawing stuff.Thanks a bunch for the idea! You just saved me some $$$.[edit]What's that piece on the underside with the 2 bolts through it?

Chris, that's exactly what I did. I can disassemble it and use the sawhorse for work around the house. The two bolt on the underside is for my RCBS RS press for field reloading. You see I built a multi purpose shooting bench and reloading bench all in one. I'm going to add a cross bracket on the two opposite legs to make it even more sturdy. I'll probably use a 1/2" conduit. Guy's good luck on your build. SangerRPB, I can't remember how much I paid for it.

That is pretty nice looking. I don't know how many people use portable reloading benches. I have one made out of a Black and Decker Workmate. I don't have a real bench in my car hole, so I use that. I take it to the range when I'm working up a load.

Picked mine up today, the price at Home Depot was $17.99. Heck the plywood cost more than the sawhorse. All done with mine just need a good painjob. Thanks for the idea, looks like a good one. :signs653wf:

Nice Bench there Fox.......How heavy is it? Looks real light. Heres my portable shooting chair.....these chairs are fun.....light weight, But not as steady as Fox's.post-3-1306517946.jpg

That is pretty nice looking. I don't know how many people use portable reloading benches. I have one made out of a Black and Decker Workmate. I don't have a real bench in my car hole, so I use that. I take it to the range when I'm working up a load.
Hey tW!tcH could you post up a pic of you portable reloading bench. I'm going to be making one and would love to see how yours looks and works on the B&D Workmate. :signs1180lq:

As you can see I'm on my way copying you :signs1180lq: 21 bux with tax. I still need the wood.

post-983-1179261494_thumb.jpg

post-983-1179261503_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure its the same thing he got, I went to home depot as instructed. People at work keep asking me if I'm going to make a shooting bench out of it, I guess they know my hobbies :signs1180lq:

Nice Bench there Fox.......How heavy is it? Looks real light. Heres my portable shooting chair.....these chairs are fun.....light weight, But not as steady as Fox's.
Where do you get yours? That would be PERFECT for the back of my golf cart!

I'd hook that sucker to my quad!

As you can see I'm on my way copying you 21 bux with tax. I still need the wood.
You can buy a defective or damaged oak plywood at Home Depot at a reduce price. Oaks are more durable and can be stained or painted. I accidentally left mine outside the house and got rained out. It stained the wood but luckily it didn't damaged it. I'm planning to replace mine with 3/4 inch plywood. It will make it a little heavy but it will help stabilize the bench. Goodluck and post picture of your bench when your done. RJ

FiveFlat.......I got mine on another website. The don't have it on there anymore. Though, I did manage to find it on this site...http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate....amp;item=320164. It's bout the same price. I paid $80 (which included shipping) for mine. This thing only weighs 25 lbs. My buddy and myself love these benches. For the price, weight, and portability......it's hard to beat. We actually set up the benches in the bed of the pickups sometimes.......and shoot down from a higher elevation.