Stiff Neck

I need a metal gong-like target for practicing 223

32 posts in this topic

But I have a degree in Metallurgy too.
Oh am sorry I dont have that degree yet,but i am working on it............. ;) I got a degree in getting my ass burned with hot mettal................yah Iron i was thinking the samething 3/4 is sure heavy stuff.

Nothing funny about drunk drivers,what happend to him? Jail,lawsuit? Hope you stuck it to him.What type of welding did you use to do?
He was 16 and bought the car without his parents knowledge. No jail time they let him go to his father a hotshot surgeon in town at the time. About two years latter he killed a young girl walking to school and crippled her friend. I think he lost his license that time. I got crushed between his car and the back of my truck. Broke my right leg in seventeen pieces and my left in five. He almost severed them and they said I'd never walk again. Guess they were wrong. I spent a year and a half in a bodycast. I tried suing he and his family but they had just changed the law. It only held the parents responsible for $5000. So I was the one that got hosed.I worked for Southern Pacific Railway for a few years in Special Projects. We built the first closed in rail cars to transport automobiles. We also designed and built a new mining ore car to haul coal to power plants. Mostly heavy stuff and fabrication. We did other stuff too like special repairs. I got some crane experience which was good. They had a big lay off so I went to work at Mare Island Naval Ship Yard repairing ships. Also worked for a truck trailer manufacturer building aluminum tank trailers. I never cared for that claustrophobic crawling through the baffles welding on the inside of those tanks. ;)

They had a big lay off so I went to work at Mare Island Naval Ship Yard repairing ships.
Thats interesting my father was a machinist there for close to 30 years, and I can now look out my window and see the place. as far as the 3/4" I don't think my mosin(7.62x54) would go though with steel core ammo, It goes through 1/2" but not 1". I also know for a fact that the .223 won't pierce my 3/8" targets, but they do swing so that could help them some. Your right about the weight of 30 lbs for a Sq foot of steel, My guess if the 223 is leaving a large bulge is that it aluminum, but I'm not sure even about that since I would think it would penatrate aluminum. Mabye its brass/bronze or something?

He was 16 and bought the car without his parents knowledge. No jail time they let him go to his father a hotshot surgeon in town at the time. About two years latter he killed a young girl walking to school and crippled her friend. I think he lost his license that time. I got crushed between his car and the back of my truck. Broke my right leg in seventeen pieces and my left in five. He almost severed them and they said I'd never walk again. Guess they were wrong. I spent a year and a half in a bodycast. I tried suing he and his family but they had just changed the law. It only held the parents responsible for $5000. So I was the one that got hosed.I worked for Southern Pacific Railway for a few years in Special Projects. We built the first closed in rail cars to transport automobiles. We also designed and built a new mining ore car to haul coal to power plants. Mostly heavy stuff and fabrication. We did other stuff too like special repairs. I got some crane experience which was good. They had a big lay off so I went to work at Mare Island Naval Ship Yard repairing ships. Also worked for a truck trailer manufacturer building aluminum tank trailers. I never cared for that claustrophobic crawling through the baffles welding on the inside of those tanks. ;)
Wow how long ago was that John?How long did it take you to get over it emotionally?I wonder if his parent were ever able to sleep at night again? That surgeon was a sucsess in occupation but a failyer as a father. This kid did he do any jail time for the Deaths and crippling of the young girls?There are no words to describe my discust,my outrage of this experience that was laid upon you and those young girls......You know there is a fact that gives me a sence of resolve.The fact is that there will be a judgement day Do you believe in God? Do you believe OJ is guilty? Do you have a Bible? Look up Hebrews 9:27 and Revelation 20:11-15. The Bible teaches that God is the standard for right and wrong and that the guilty won't go unpunished....... I rarely ever weld in a closed space,must stay away from those fumes.To weld at Mere Island I'm certian you were a competant welder.

Wow, the kid got off like that! Just plain rediculous! Glad to see the doctors was wrong about not being able to walk again John....I'll try taking a picture of the plate, the bulge is not really visible on the other side of the plate, the only way I could really tell is because I painted the plate and the paint flaked off on the other side. The plate is hanging, but didn't swing much when hit, probably due to its weight. Oh well, time to order up some AR500 steel plate :blink:

Wow, the kid got off like that! Just plain rediculous! Glad to see the doctors was wrong about not being able to walk again John....I'll try taking a picture of the plate, the bulge is not really visible on the other side of the plate, the only way I could really tell is because I painted the plate and the paint flaked off on the other side. The plate is hanging, but didn't swing much when hit, probably due to its weight. Oh well, time to order up some AR500 steel plate :blink:
Well I tell yah Joel 316 "Flaked Off" paint is considerably different then a Bulged back of 3/4 plate steelLOL. Any how now I'm sure you can read a tape measure cause it sounds like your target is mild steel after all.Shoot at that thing in peace,it you will never shoot it two much( Practicley speaking) Did you say 12"x12" That's a big plate,I think just don't shoot at it under 25yds(There will be "High Power Bullet Splatter") Full Metal Jackets would be the most dangerous to bystandards or your self.

The most common type of steel is called A36 which is a ASTM designation. The 36 means that it is capable of 36,000# in tensile strength. They have grade A572 and other grades which are 50ksi but is not that common. The AR plate which stands for Abrasion Resistant is not very common in 3/4 plate and can have tensiles in the 80ksi to 100+ksi. AR plate is brittle but not glass like, more that it is not formible i.e. like bending it to 90' will cause it to break in two. In all probability your plate is mild steel (A36) and will hold up to the 223 easily. For a safety precaution I would attach it to a stand so that it hangs tilted towards the shooter so that when the bullet strikes the steel it tends to put the bullet down into the dirt if you know what I mean. My 2 cents. dale