Rustyrimfire

Spent shells -- what to do

14 posts in this topic

After firing my 17 for a couple hours the other day I found myself ankle deep in spent casings, and was wonding what people do with them? It's not that I'm out giving trees a hug, I'm just cheap and hate to see things go to waste.Thanks,Rusty

I suppose if you gathered up about 10 lbs of them you could sell them for scrap. :)If they were 22 s you could buy a swaging press and bullet forming dies to make bullets out of them. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

A17, I still have my old Corbin swaging dies. Those things were great. I used to get the stragest looks for picking up spent .22 cases as a kid.Thumbs up for the recycling idea. Every litter bit helps. :smiley-funny-post-sign: Sorry I remember that old add campaign.

I never thought about spent shells. As a kid I always just let them lay were they were. It wasn't until I started hunting with Heath and he was always picking up shotgun shells that I realized, hey, these things are a mess. Now I make sure I pick up every spent case I shoot.

My SAV generally collects them (rimfire) on the floorboard, all the centerfire's I place in Crown Royal bags for storage. Shotgun shells I always pickup if I can find them. :)

I always try to pick up my spent shells either for reloading or just to leave the area clean.

I never considered taking spent rim fire cases in to a recycling center. What's brass worth right now?
Well, currently at the brass recycling internet site it looks like it's between 50 cents and 2 dollars a pound depending on what type of brass it is.I've heard of people waking up and finding their brass plumbing being stolen from new and current houses.Rusty

A17, I still have my old Corbin swaging dies. Those things were great. I used to get the stragest looks for picking up spent .22 cases as a kid.Thumbs up for the recycling idea. Every litter bit helps. :signs1180lq: Sorry I remember that old add campaign.
SJ,I got into that. Only, I took the 22 jackets down to 17 and made some reasonably good 17 HP bullets with headstamps on the base. :)You do need a lot of time to waste to make bullets that way. :flag:

It is a labor intensive project to swag them. But when I was a kid I didn't have the money to buy factory bullets for my .22-250. I had a good time making them but the dies sit idle now. Maybe someday I'll break them out again and remember all the fun I used to have making my own bullets. :signs1180lq:

Was 1.60 clean no other metal .70 mixed for a while got rid of 400 pounds of old door hardware it ads up quick