Sign in to follow this  
Bisley

Another Orphan

After being ridiculed by a friend and his family for yours as being "UnAmerican" for not owning either a .45Auto nor a 1911 style pistol, I decided it was time. I was going to fill both niches in one shot with a used Colt at a local firearms auction yesterday. But after many weeks of thought, and watching these bids skyrocket before the auction was even open, I felt it would be much wiser actually spending LESS money on a new Kimber 1911. The whole full warranty vs. not knowing how a used Colt was treated, plus the fact that Kimbers are known for being shooters, really pushed. Same said friend owns a few Kimbers, as well as his wife (CCW pistol) and he son has one as well. Had the chance to shoot a couple Memorial Day weekend again and never gave a used Colt another thought.

Now, as anyone who has tried knows, good luck finding any gun let alone a beautiful new Kimber right now!!! After calling around and looking online for several days I all but gave up :504:. Fast forward to Thursday when I text my buddy at our 9:00 break I'd all but given up, he said he forgot about it and would check the LGS on his lunch hour. Phone goes off at 12:30 with a text saying they have a couple in store. I get a hold of him at 3:00 to let him know I'm on way...... to Bakersfield.......130 miles away!!! Got there at 5:00, met him at 5:30, finished adoption papers at 6:30 and had dinner with his family the rest of the evening before coming home. So Happy late birthday to me (Memorial Weekend) and it will be a Happy Father's Day when I bring her home the week before it. I'll pick it up after work a week from Tuesday and break it in at the range in the store before coming home. A beautiful bouncing baby Kimber Custom II girl :653:    Already have a couple hundred rounds loaded ans spare 8 round mags on the way :rolleyes:

2020-05-31_02-37-37

Good choice Bob, I carry one regularly the Ultra Carry II.  The thing shoots very well and has all of the upgrades I have done to my stable of other Colts.  If this unrest doesn't end soon I may need to put one of these into service.  Just got a posting from a neighbor saying the Walmart near me is going to be hit tomorrow.

Thanks John. I can't remember if that's the same one his wife put in her CCW. She enjoyed shooting his full size, but wanted a smaller one to carry. 

I have always wanted a Colt 70 series or Commander, but am not willing to pay that for a used firearm of unknown background. I don't need ambi-everything as I am who it is being bought for too. This is just a beautiful pistol with a very nice factory trigger, and known to be superb shooters. Just what I wanted. I also really like how the white dot sights stand out on the all black frame. They had one with the tritium sights, but they looked like old faded sights to me in the daytime. Since 99.99% of what I do is daytime, the white just made much more sense. These 10 days are d r a g g i n g on now lol.

Waiting is the worse part but the shooting makes up for it.  I have eight .45's all 1911 style.  I have a really nice Colt Commander that I've owned for 41 years.  I tuned it all up as I have my other except for my Gold Cups.  But since we're having some unrest in the area and since my run in with that joker in the park I'm always carrying something.  Have fun with it when you get it.  They love to be shot.

Well, I finally went out to pick her up yesterday. Short version, I am totally enamored and in love!!! Why oh why did I wait so long???

Long story, I learned a lot. After leaving work, driving 140 miles, and waiting in line to get in (riot/looting prevention), we had under a 1/2 hour to shoot. This thing is a Cadillac! Unbelievably smooth, and recoils lighter than my Ruger P89 9mm does. I didn't realize the 1911's I shot were 4" aluminum frames pistols. I was not ready for the luxury of the 5" steel frame and slide pistol. 

As far as flinging lead, what's to say? The first shot caught me by surprise since my only two auto pistols are a 25 year old S&W 410 SA/DA 40cal and the Ruger SA/DA P89 9mm. After pulling table legs for trigger so long a REAL trigger is amazing!!! And every pull of it produced a 7/16" hole directly above the sights. And with the super smooth cycling, follow up shots were almost too easy. 

While pulling it straight out of the box and throwing rounds downrange is not ideal, I had no choice. I had one or two stovepipes, but I was also shooting reloads for a caliber I have never owned, and didn't even have a firearm to check them with. I can live with a couple of hangups under those conditions. I also was shooting the two 8 round extra Kimber mags I ordered. 

I don't think I could be more happy. And it was worth the drive(s) dealing by with the great folks at Second Amendment Sports in Bakersfield. 

2020-06-10_10-30-44

Welcome to the 1911 shooting club!  I'm glad that you finally have one and now will know the pleasure of shooting one.  All of mine are modified some more than others but I trust them fully.  Get some rounds like Winchester White Box and go out and shoot that thing to break it in.  You need to rattle that thing a little to wring it out.  Have fun Bob!

Well, I took your advice as an excuse to get out for the day. Spent the entire day yesterday upgrading the bike trailer so I could shoot/ride today. It was worth it!!! After cleaning the Kimber up on Wednesday and giving her a good oil rubdown she didn't have one single hiccup today. She definitely has an affinity for Longshot and Unique powder behind 185gr FP Xtreme copper plated bullets. With the 6gr load of Unique being my go-to. Very mild and comfortable, not to mention I can keep 5 rounds in the 2" targets when I do my part. And it hits exactly to where I like my POI to be.

One thing I have to keep reminding myself is that the softer I hold, the better I shoot. And the less recoil I feel. If I hold it just this side of dropping it the bullets holes stack on top of each other at 15 and 25 yards, shooting freehand. It's like she can will the bullets to hit. Absolutely amazing. Now, if I can just remember that when the adrenaline is pumping I'd be golden :blush:

2020-06-14_10-52-13

2020-06-14_10-11-41

2020-06-14_10-11-05

2020-06-14_10-10-54

You certainly have a thing for rabbits.  The Kimber looks much more fur friendly than your .308  Nice shooting on the bunnies.

Thanks. If you knew the, for lack of a better word, infestation, where I take most these rabbits you would never believe it. Not uncommon to see dozens and dozens in the roughly !/2 square mile I like to hunt in. On a good day I'm lucky if i even get a shot at one of every ten I see. And the .308 is fun, but the 45gr Lehigh Controlled Chaos in the .22-250 makes the .308 look like it a BB gun. Tried it once, just once, literally split in two!

I went to the furniture store too. Needed something to break up the solid black look. Extremely comfortable and will much better with sweaty palms in the desert heat.

2020-06-20_11-35-50

2020-06-20_11-35-58

Thanks John. They work amazing, even with sweaty hands in 103 degree heat. VZ Operator II grips.

Oh, I also had to purchase a new crib for the girl. I couldn't bring myself to buy anything but leather for her :lol:

2020-06-25_09-01-29