Sign in to follow this  
microtus

cz bobwhite

Picked up a new toy today in 20g flavor.  I've been using a Winchester 1200 20g bought for me by my dad when I was 10.  If I'm lucky I'll have another 20 years of stomping through the woods looking for woodcock and grouse and a new shotgun seemed right.   Double triggers are going to take some time to get used to.  No fancy engravings, a plane jayne stock, a price I could afford and vastly different in a good way from my old 1200.  It points like a dream.   Post covid lockdown I'll hit up the local skeet range for some practce.  Woodcock season opens mid September.  Anybody have a trained Brittany  to give away  ;)

Sounds like a great purchase.  I have my great grandfather's old Ithaca 20ga side by side.  I put a new firing pin spring in it back in my sophomore year in high school in a summer gunsmithing class.  That was back in 1968 when I could carry a gun around on a school grounds.  That was 52 years ago and the gun still shoots well except I can't shoot steel shot out of it now.  Double triggers take some getting used to.  I found just using one finger and sliding it from front to back trigger works best.  I learned the hard way using my uncles old 10ga double that putting two fingers on two triggers makes your shoulder sore when both barrels go off at once.

I picked up an old 16 ga. westernfield with a choke.

now I need to find ammo.

Tom

Congrats, you should be very happy. I have it's big brother, the Bobwhite in 12ga. as well. As handy as the 12ga. is I can only imagine how sweet the 20ga. is. Sure hope it brings joy and a smile to you.

9 minutes ago, ShooterJohn said:

I found just using one finger and sliding it from front to back trigger works best.

This is what I have learned to do, especially with my fat sausage fingers lol. The only drawback to the double trigger I had was not the gun's fault. The knuckle of my trigger finger would take quite a beating when I pulled the rear trigger. But, I will honestly admit two things. First, my fingers have been best described as 1/4 pound hotdogs :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:. The other is the fact that I was used to an auto, and our handloads were meant for T-Rex dinosaurs fired out of a mounted gun :lol:. When I loaded to a more human spec it was never an issue.

18 minutes ago, ShooterJohn said:

That was 52 years ago and the gun still shoots well except I can't shoot steel shot out of it now.

If you reload shotgun John, forget about Bismuth check out American e-shot. Uses all lead shot components, and is built just for this purpose. It dropped ducks for me stone cold dead at 40 yards but can be crushed with a pair of pliers. Amazing technology.

American E-Shot

New! American Shot - non toxic shotgun shells, environmentally friendly shotgun shells, eco friendly shotgun shells

I need to pick up some cardboard at work to pattern the gun.  It will be interesting to see how well the barrels are tuned to each other, fingers crossed.  I haven't reloaded shotgun shells in over 40 years, but I can see the need if I ended up taking a liking to shooting skeet.  Aside from that, no id, background check etc required and shells aren't hard to find.  As a kid, we reloaded due to cost and over time lots of things change but cost is still an issue.  I think I have a too many hobbies problem

The only sxs I'd shot prior was a 10g my buddy had borrowed.  It had a tendency to fire both barrels at a time.  We were teenagers and really didn't care other than the grins n giggles factor.  The only thing I killed with it was a skunk....yup, both barrels.  The skunk didn't know any different.

On a side note, it got hot here today with a high of 71.  Sorry, couldn't resist.  At least you don't have the black flies and mosquitoes.

I most certainly do NOT miss the heat.  I'm just 3 miles from lake Huron but 400 feet or so higher in elevation.  At times it's almost like the bay area weather down by the water with fog and wind, head up to the house and clear/calm.  A high of 74 today is going to suck, not used to it.  

I took the boat out for the first time yesterday and without navionics I'd have never made it back to the dock, visibility at times was just 30 feet or so.  I did manage to land a few pike.  I wanted to fish for lakers/salmon but that would have been out in the big water = bad.

23 hours ago, ShooterJohn said:

It hit 97 in Sacramento today and will be over 100 tomorrow.

Keep that stuff up there!!! W hit 90 today and that was too hot for this old boy!

On 5/25/2020 at 5:16 PM, microtus said:

It will be interesting to see how well the barrels are tuned to each other, fingers crossed.

I doubt you will have a problem. I have both the Bobwhite (SxS) and the Canvasback (O/U) and they both are right on the money.

Before I bought my Bobwhite I was shooting a 1934 Ithaca Longrange 20.  Now that we have to shoot steel the Bobwhite takes care of that problem.  Really like it.

I have no idea why but it looked like I got booted from the site for a few weeks.  404 forbidden or something.  Anyway.

I joined the local shooting club and started slinging pellets at clay birds, so far a few rounds of sporting clays and 5 station trap.  I'm shooting better than expected and worse than hoped , upper 30's on the sporting clays and 19 on the 5 station.  C/IC with 7/8's of #8's is getting me a lot of chipped birds and light hits.  I think I'm going to change it out to M/F and see if it's pattern density or they are marginal hits due to ummm uhhh ...aim.

I did some pattern testing and tried to upload a couple of photos but didn't have any luck.  It's probably me and not Flicker and could be why I had trouble logging in here.  The fit on the gun seems just fine.  There are no glaring gaps of wood along the edges, all metal looks nice and crisp.  No waves in the rib like my old Win 1200 is kinda nice.  Both barrels have the same poi at 20ish  grouse yards.  Points where I'm looking.  It's missing all the fancy wood and receiver engravings which is fine with me.

I hurt my shoulder putting a boat onto the trailer solo and went to the doc.  The good new was it isn't a torn rotor cuff, bad new was plain ole arthritis.  It make me glad I opted for the 20 instead of the 12.  Fifty shells is about all I'm good for, but at least it keeps expense down.

Sorry to hear about the shoulder. Have you considered the possibility of a Cortisone shot? Some will find it lasts a short while while other last forever. I am going on three years for a wrist I could not even tie my shoes with.

I know the 12ga is a handy little scattergun, I can only imagine how quick that 20ga handles!

404 lockout again  hmmm

I had a cortisone shot in that same shoulder back in 1992 for a different ailment.  I can honestly say I'd rather deal with the sore shoulder than another one of those shots.  I started an exercise routine to try and strengthen everything up, so far so good. 

Yeah, the little gun sure points quick but that's what I wanted.  Grouse here are a very quick point and shoot with most shots well inside of 20 yards because you cant see any further than that.  I think I need to speed up my shots at the range.

On that note I haven't been back to bust clays due to the darned fish.  Trolled the other day for a couple dinners worth of lake trout, couldn't find the salmon.  Just about nightly after work is largemouth bass on topwater frogs AND the herring are starting to come in so out comes the kayak and flyrod for Friday and Saturday.