Hi guys, I am thinking about building my first AR-10 and in 243. Any thoughts or opinions?  Thank you

Rich

Why not? I love mine. They are a lot of fun. What are your plans for it? While not the lightest gun you will own, it is not impossible to carry. The only thing you may have to do is play with the buffer weight. Both my .243 and .22-250 were undergassed believe it or not? Had to lighten the buffer. Very easy to do and have not had a problem with either of them. Do you already have a barrel picked out. If not, I have a pair of possibilities for you. I would suggest a 1-8 twit though for heavier weight lead free bullets. But my 1-8 also handles 55 grain Nosler lead free and 60 grain Sierra HP's spectacularly.

2018-08-16_08-07-03

2020-05-07_06-15-02

Hi Bisley, I plan on hunting yotes and sage rats with it. I have 2 others, a bolt and single shot. I definitely want to go with a 1 in 8 twist, (lead free oh joy).  Thanks.  

That's funny because I also have a Howa bolt and an H&R stainless single shot. I don't know what your budget is, or how much you do or don't want to spend, but here are a couple nice barrel choices. I can speak personally about this exact barrel as it is what I have on mine. It is also the only one of the three that shoots the Nosler 55gr Lead Free Ballistic Tip exceptionally well. For some reason I cant get the other two to like them.   20" 243 Barrel Rifle Length Gas BY ANDERSON MANUFACTURING  I have nothing bad to say abut this. Not a "known" vendor, but one I have ordered from multiple times with great success. The other option would be these guys.   X-Caliber Barels  Both my bolt action and AR 22-250 have their 1-9 twist barrel and both are absolutely amazing shooters. And they ship ahead of their expected wait times too. Even called me on the first one because they recommend my threads on the muzzle should be 5/8-24 and not 1/2-28. Again, not a bad word to say about them. I would have used them if I hadn't gotten an e-mail at just the right time, and Anderson is a reputable manufacturer.

I also can't recommend this enough if you are doing the building. You can, and will, use it for a million different reasons. A MUST have.  Wheeler Delta Series Upper Receiver Action Block & Picatinny Rail Vise  

If you're looking for a lightweight, very reasonably priced, very well built handguard then let me know. I can PM you a few places.