Sign in to follow this  
Bisley

Lehigh Controlled Chaos

After seeing how these performed in a .223 from a member on here I decided to try these 45gr Lehigh Controlled Chaos bullets.Their website lists a COAL for them in a .22-250, but no load data. So if you have an older .22-250 you may want to try these too. I used a an already successful powder charge with their suggested COAL and this was the results. Cold barrel, first 5 shots of the day. Doesn't get much better. Going to try them in the .22-250 next weekend.

Here is the link:  https://www.lehighdefense.com/index.php?route=common/home

2020-04-19_05-45-18

That's very impressive.  Please be sure to post the pics and load data you use for the .22-250 as well. 

I will be sure to post the outcome with the .22-250. I will know this weekend IF my new bullet puller gets here by Friday. Lead free bullets are a real peach to pull with their longer length, ugh!

Well I FINALLY got the chance to get out this weekend. Last weekend was canceled as my buddy almost forgot we were set to gout out on the day of his wedding anniversary :yikes[1]:

I will give a little setup here first because it is needed. I was able to try the Lehigh 45gr Controlled Chaos as well as the 50gr Maker T-Rex bullets. The only problem was I did not do it until after 6 hours of shooting in the 95 degree Mojave heat, and 20mph Mojave wind. It was an absolutely perfect day until just about 2pm. We were shooting shotuns shells with pistols under the EZ-Up  when out of nowhere a gust blew it over and the wind was coming in. While they grabbed up the remains of the E-Up I rushed to sight in the 22-250. I only had 8 rounds of the Maker and 7 rounds of the Lehigh because my Hornady bullet puller hadn't come in yet and I was killing myself with those long light bullets with the hammer. Anyway, All 15 shots were taken in less than about 3 minutes. The barrel was screaming hot, the bench was shaking in the wind, and I was drained form the heat. None the less I still managed to get both groups in at right at 1-1/4" each. I know for a fact they will both shoot under an inch, actually, well under an inch (maybe half that) if I were smarter and did it under ideal circumstances. I only wish I had the chance to try the 45gr Lehigh in my buddy's 1-12 twist 22-250 :504: . Maybe Memorial weekend? We did however try the 35gr NTX in his 250 with great results. Even with the factory package scope (Remington) that was like looking through a fish bowl his boy managed a sub 1" group with them.

Conclusion:

The 35gr NTX has shot well in every 22-250 we have tried them, from 1-12 to 1-9 twist. And they have been proven to work fine.

The 45gr Lehigh Controlled Chaos has shot excellent in the ,223 and very well in the faster twist 22-250. Sorry I didn't get the chance to try the 1-12 twist........yet

If you're looking for a tougher bullet than the frangible Lehigh in the .223 you may want to consider the Maker 50gr T-Rex. it did not shoot the one hole group like the Lehigh for me, but far from not being accurate enough for any hunting a .223 would do.

2020-05-09_09-15-20

OK, first off sorry, no pics. W tend to leave the cameras off when I'm with my longtime hunting buddy because of his career and possible political consequences. Anyway, got the chance to check the 45gr Lehigh bullets in the 1-12 twist Remington 22-250 this weekend. They will definitely stabilize. Without any kind of load development we were able to pull off about 1-1/4" 5 shot groups without really trying. I know for a fact this will go sun MOA once the $25 scope that came with it gets replaced. It really is THAT bad. This bullet will make an amazing coyote round in the 250!

We were also able to repeat the 35gr NTX load exactly as two weeks ago, which was a left to right string about 1-1/8". Again, this is a load NOT developed for this rifle.