Sign in to follow this  
KNOCKED UP

Quarantined

I am trying to make good use of being locked up at home, so I started cleaning brass.

I never realized that I would be doing it for three days.

I had to order more media, mine turned black and gave me a dull shine.

now I find that the battery in my digital caliper has gone dead, so I ordered more batteries.

Tom

Get treated corn cob and every load of brass put a dryer sheet(used is fine) that is cut up into 1/4ths in with it. Toss the dryer sheet every load and put another one (cut up) in. My media lasts for a very long time cleaning many 1000's of rounds. 

3 hours ago, KNOCKED UP said:

I am trying to make good use of being locked up at home, so I started cleaning brass.

That's how my Monday started too.

2020-04-08_06-52-13

Then Tuesday came, and between several hundred of these and several hundred pistol rounds I had to quit before I needlessly got too deep into the powder supply. Plus I ran out of small pistol primers.

2020-04-08_06-52-33

3 hours ago, KNOCKED UP said:

I had to order more media, mine turned black and gave me a dull shine.

Go to a feed store and order 50lbs of ground walnut shells for $10. Still have the same bag after almost a decade. Used to use dryer sheets, now I have realized the dust settles to the top, so as I remove the lid I blow away the dust and the media is clean. Way, way, way easier. You can't let your brass get that dirty though. I clean before I size, and then again afterward to get the lube off. The Dillon spray lube is the cleanest I have used to date.

On 4/8/2020 at 5:40 PM, KNOCKED UP said:

Tonight I loaded a box of 50 already prepped 223.

So I thought I would prep and load more, when I took out my 223 dies I found that I had a bent de primer, so I tried to straighten it out

with a pair of needle nose pliers.

No cigar, I broke it off.

RCBS was out of stock for the primer remover, so it was back to Amazon for a new set.

My 40 cal. dies are loaned out, so I guess I will load something else.

Tom

I feel your pain Tom, that was me on Monday night with the .38/.357 dies. I cheated though and deprimed with a universal depriming die and then ran them through the sizer until I get the stem replaced. If you have a universal deprimer you could do the same. Good luck Tom.