Sign in to follow this  
Desert Fox

Broke Southwest ULR National Record Sunday

Well, just when I thought that the barrel on my 375 Cheytac is toast, I decided to give it one last hhoraah before sending it to the smith for rebarelling. I switch load using 400 Cutting Edge Lazer stuffed with 140 grain Reloader 50. Velocity was around 3000+ fps. The condition at the match Sunday was getting worst by the minute. Wind was mild in the early morning but started to pick up by the time we started shooting. I was watching the flag flapping in the wind like crazy. My group started shooting the first target at 2125 yards. I didn't do too well, hitting the target only 3 times out of 9 rounds fired. The rifle was shooting well but the wind was shifting constantly making me missed by a few feet off the target. The national record was set the previous month at 2230 yards by a guy shooting Tubbs 37XC. Every month, the target is move, usually a few yards further so that there is always that potential to set a new record. On this match the target was moved 10 yards farther at 2240. I was sick last February so I was not able to attend the match. I was looking to do well on this one so I was very attentive to wind condition. I watched the flag intently as we wait to shoot for the record. I can see that the flag keep switching from 9 o'clock to 11 o'clock. I guesstimated the wind at 10MPH. My Garmin Foretrex 701 with AB Ballistic solver is giving me 3 mils for a 10 mph wind at full value. The wind however was steady at 11. I dialed 2 mils for wind and fired my first shot (sighter). To my surprised, the flasher hit indicator let up. I have 3 minutes to shoot 4 round for the record, I hurriedly chambered another round keeping my eye for any wind change. I fired the second shot and the flash indicator lit up again signifying another hit. The next three round were just a matter of keeping the crosshair steadied at the center of the target. As I fired my last and final round, I had my one eye on the flag and the other waiting for that flashing light. What a thrill to see the flashing indicator lit up and hearing the voice of the score keeper announcing a new record. I ended up placing 6th place out of a group of 27 shooter from Nevada, Arizona and California. What a weekend.

88240544_2522017808010244_63779517107189

fullsizeoutput_7c5_zpsmqyvtoov.jpeg

IMG_5606_zpsodbme1px.jpg

IMG_5596_zps0wvdifxn.jpg

Thanks John. Here's the picture of the target. It looks big but boy try hitting it at over a mile. The 2 mils I dialed for wind was over 14 feet.

IMG_0022_zpsebirqr7b.jpg

That is some impressive shooting Rommel especially the four in a row at that distance.  No wonder the deer you hunt don't have a chance.

Congratulations!!!  Excellent shooting.