Sign in to follow this  
Desert Fox

Load Development For a 2 Mile Cartridge

I have everything. Just waiting for the rifle. 

IMG_3948_zpsrhq6kwqu.jpg

IMG_3949_zpsrdjca8hi.jpg

The 375 Cheytac (To the left of 50 BMG) loaded with 353 grain Lehigh Solid Match. I can push this baby at 3200 fps and will remain supersonic to 2,750 yards depending on the elevation.

IMG_3950_zpsjwaorf5n.jpg

Amazing visual line up, don't know much about that higher technology of really long range shooting...surprised to see 'your' case has no belt.

I'm curious, are you just a tough guy or is the rifle weight responsible for keeping recoil at an acceptable level?

6 hours ago, Plumas said:

Amazing visual line up, don't know much about that higher technology of really long range shooting...surprised to see 'your' case has no belt.

I'm curious, are you just a tough guy or is the rifle weight responsible for keeping recoil at an acceptable level?

LOL, It's both weight and effective muzzle brake. My 50 BMG weigh over 30Lbs. My 338 Lapua at 16.5 lbs, This new 375 Cheytac I'm building would probably in the neighborhood of 28 lbs.

So I ditched Retumbo in favor of Reloader 33. It's not that Retumbo is bad, its just dirty. Reloader 33 is clean burning double base powder designed for large capacity big bore cartridges like the RUM's and the Lapua's. It has a slower burning rate when compared with Retumbo therefore load density is much higher also. I was surprised that a cartridge burning 138 to 139 grains of powder can be this consistent. It's unbelievable what I was seeing on the Labradar screen. Twice I noticed two consecutive shot with exact same velocity printed on the screen. I thought the chronograph failed to record the shot. Single digit SD and ES is in the realm of the benchrest cartridges like the PPC's and BR's not on a big bores cartridge burning hundreds of grains of powder. Pretty amazing considering that I did not do my usual case prep. But as the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding. We'll see how these load perform at extreme ranges.

IMG_4334_zpsvoz19olo.jpg

IMG_4335_zpsouyv4v9e.jpg

IMG_4327_zpseskyqrxh.jpg

I also need to test the accuracy and repeatability of the Ivey Adjustable Scope Mount. This thing weigh probably over a pound. Really robust and tight. I watch the adjustment on my collimator and it's repeatable and very precise with no noticeable shift on the dial.

IMG_4319_zpsbn8f5fqh.jpg

A-Tip is the new bullet developed by Hornady. I think it's not out yet but you can pre-order. Just like any Hornady bullet, this one will destined to be a winner. It's no use for us Californian however since A-Tip is still a lead core bullet. The BC is impressive on paper though but until you tried it on your rifle, your result may vary. 

I think I found the best all around load for my 375 Cheytac. I settled on 136.5 grains of Reloader 33. I overlooked this load trying to squeeze more velocity out of the rifle. The load is actually very stable and very consistent, averaging 3,075 fps. It will print quarter minute 3 shot group @ 110 yards easily.

I'm here in Vegas as I type this reply, to shoot long range with a couple of local guys. The Gentleman who won France King of 2 Miles competition last week was shooting the 367 grain Warner Flatline at only 3,025 fps on a 10 twist barrel. So I'm very confident that my load will performed just as well.

IMG_4353_zpsgzlmk77l.jpg

IMG_4354_zpssjpguwef.jpg

IMG_4345_zpshmrjc5gy.jpg