Sign in to follow this  
Bisley

This Dog's Ready To Hunt

Since there are no real "predator" lead free bullets for larger calibers (what I wouldn't give for a 110gr Nosler Lead Free Ballistic Tip in .308) I have been somewhat forced into using the copper Lehigh Controlled Chaos bullets. I would much rather use gilded metal bullets, but beggars can't be choosers. Anyway, these are the frangible 115gr bullets.

2018-11-28_07-26-282018-11-28_07-26-13

I loaded them to the COAL recommend on their site with Varget since my .308's love the 110gr V-max and Varmageddon with that powder. Turns out it LOVES these bullets. The middle load of 48grs has four shots because I could feel the rifle slip as I pulled the trigger on the second shot. And yes, that is three shots in 1/2"! Even the 47gr load is right at 1". Now it's time to get down to business with it....

2018-12-09_01-00-422018-12-09_01-02-14

Impressive group ! Lehigh may the answer to a very volatile impact desired for the game.

Your thoughts/experience with the Barnes TSX/TTSX .308 110gr.?

Moving into the world of lead-free has created a 'start-over'  situation for every caliber I (we all) reload...I have no practical experience yet. But Varget is my powder as well...got too much of it to look elsewhere till I burn a few pounds to make room on the shelf.

Still pickin' smarter brains than mine for .243 and 30-06.

What are your intentions with the .243 and 06? I have played with both. Varget seems to get along very well with my 06 as well.

Can't help you on the other part. I will quit hunting/shooting before I send one b....s bullet down my barrel, sorry. Way better options from WAY better companies.

243 is for predators and deer....80gr-105 gr lead used mostly...looking at the Barnes 62 and 85 as replacements for the lead.

3006 is for deer and elk...150-180gr lead....looking to Barnes 130-150-165 as replacements.

No experience with other than the 223 with lead-free so that's the learning curve before next season.

The 223 loves the Barnes 30gr and 36gr  with Varget. 1/2" groups: loaded to a bit above 3300 fps... not as fast as could be but it is consistent and easy, minimal kick so you can keep an eye on the impact....good squirrel load.

Got so much Varget on hand I'll use it in anything it qualifies for until the can is empty.

11 minutes ago, Plumas said:

243 is for predators and deer....80gr-105 gr lead used mostly...looking at the Barnes 62 and 85 as replacements for the lead.

Check these bad boys out!! 

https://www.cavitybackbullets.com/product-p/cb-mkz-6mm-.243-92.htm

Basically a do all CA bullet.  My 10 twist 700 .243 loves them with 42g of R-19 

For the 06 I would recommend a gilded metal bullet myself. A lot tougher, but still expanding, not to mention it is a much harder alloy than pure copper so no more I'll effects of fouling than with normal lead core bullets. A 125-150gr bullet lead free bullet will do anything you need. I had great luck with the 125's and Varget in the 06. You just need to find the right seating depth.

2017-12-10_10-15-24

And since I am only using pure copper when there are no other bullet choices, I am using the 55gr Nosler Lead Free Ballistic Tip made from gilded metal in the .243 as well. I had zero luck with them at first, but I was using Hodgdon loading data. The Nosler load data was much more Stout and gave me exceptional results across the board which I don't usually see in lead free bullets. You can see it all for yourself. Before I couldn't hit the ground if I shot straight down.

2018-11-04_09-43-202018-11-04_09-17-002018-11-04_09-18-16

I was using H4895. You can see the drastic difference. Here's a pic of the Varget load. Check out the difference as well!

2018-12-09_02-10-33

Its hard to beat a picture like that. I know the OAL has had a great effect with the 223, kinda thought it was not as critical with larger calibers....ok I'm wrong, your info is a great boost and a good starting place to run the course for the 243 and 3006...thanks for the details rather than opinion...good stuff.

Bisley, Thanks for posting the pics of your load results with the 55 gr Nosler LFBT. Those are some pretty good groups. I plan to develop a predator load for the 243 Win with the same bullets and was wondering if you’ve experienced with IMR 4350. I’ve had good results with that powder in larger caliber rifles specifically my 270. I was also wondering what primers you use for your 243. I was planning on going with Federal GM210 Match primers. Just wanted to get your thoughts.

Big Fish, I have only used Re19 for the GMX and H4895 for the 60gr Sierra HP's. But if it were me, according to the Nosler info and knowing lead free likes to be pushed a little hard, I would start with like 48 or 49grs of IMR4350 and play with the COAL if I were doing it. Then dial in the powder charge.

I have always tried to use CCI primers solely because they were the one company that never gouged us during any of the reloading shortages. But I have heard nothing but good about those Federal primers. 

Don't know if that helps any? Best of luck. 

Never a problem. Again though, this is just what has consistently worked for me, hope the same goes for anyone else. 

Also, you will love those bullets if they work for you. They are like high speed lasers lol.