Sign in to follow this  
Plumas

Ruger No.1 (and other SS's)

Don't know if this belongs in the varmint section or here...

I'm curious about Ruger No.1 accuracy in varmint calibers and distances. Got a whim to slow down shooting a bit and enjoy the 'action' of the shoot more. Sure, a bolt action can work for this but the concept of a ss just seems appealing.

Of course with loads worked up for a specific rifle any gun can shoot better than factory ammo usually used for the rifle critiques found in publications. With your load work up, just how accurate is your No.1 in  223, etc.? What do the loads chrono at with the 26" barrels?

Good data...that's a start. Would have thought the velocity drop would have been more. With a 200yd zero the added average drop at 300yd is less than 1/2" comparing  3180fps and 3100fps.

I own a Ruger No. 1 but not in a varmint chambering (270 Win).  I think that the No.1s are prone to vertical stringing due to the forearm attachment method but if you get a good one they shoot lights out.  I like having the longer barrel in the shorter, lightweight package.  Mine has taken my last two pronghorns at 440 and 250 yards.  

Aqwii9D.jpg?2

mWOkmyX.jpg?1

Looks good! Does the extractor move the fired shell far enough back to make it easy to reach with the scope mounted?

The rim of the ejected round hits the tang safety and you can reach it easily under the scope.   I typically tilt the gun to the left while I'm reloading (left handed) so the ejected round just drops right in front of me.  

Now I get it...has not been clear on the few Youtubes I watched. 

Thanks for those pictures as well...viewing targets are worth 1000 words.