calpik

Tactical vs hunting optics.. or "modern optics general questions"

There are so many new classes in rifle optics this days... 

Every article i read about mountain hunting: go as light as possible and in 90% of cases 2-7x35 Leup is recommended (or swaro or any other crazy expensive european scope) -- i.e. 7x is sufficient 

Every article  i read about forest/brush hunting people recommend something fast: reddot or something like that. And as low magnification as possible on magnified optic

Every article about hunting coyotes (except modern LR hunting) tell me that many times coyotes are killed in 300 yard range and in many cases they pop up from nowhere at 25-50 yards and on a run and people use shotgun (mount&shoot)

So the question is: is modern tactical 1-4/1-6/1-8 scope really beats everything else for hunting?

(except weight, but not a big problem? 10-12oz hunting scope vs 15-20 tactical)

A Leupold 3.5X10X40 is one of the best choices for a hunting rifle. Actually the best. Works up close and way out there. If it is a heavy barrel squirrel shooting rifle then more power is better and you can select other brand since it is a fair weather rifle. The companies put "tactical" on all sorts of products(including scopes) because it is the way to sell more to the, usually, younger crowd that thinks the latest fad is so important. 

It depends on your definition of hunting.

Most of my deer guns have 3-9X scopes on them and they work for 99% of my shooting.  My coyote guns run 4-12X or 4.5-14X since I usually shoot them at distance.  My long range guns run 5.5-22X, 6.5-20X or 6-24X.   My serious hunting rifles run 1.5-6X and 2.5-8X but I only shoot them out to 300 yards or so.

I haven't found that one perfect scope yet but the 2.5-8X is pretty close.

To me the perfect magnification for an all around scope is 3 X 10 Leupold Golden Ring or the discontinued LRS. With that magnification, you can pretty much hunt anything with it.