Sign in to follow this  
Plumas

Light 223

Got a bug to experiment with light 223 loads. Using Barnes 30gr and 36gr and working up accurate loads around 2000-2500 fps muzzle velocity.

Rifle is a 1-12" twist, 24" barrel.

Sticking with the Barnes due to Ca regs that kick in next July (right?) even for critters, and I got so many it does not make sense to buy something new...yet.

Have had really excellent accuracy at near max velocities with these bullets and am looking to get in the ball park of competing with 17HMR and 17WMR without buying a new rifle. Basically a good round for 50-150 yard targets...not concerned about longer range bullet drop....I know the bullet calculators from Hornady, Federal, etc. can do the down-range math but finding that dead-eye accurate formula in a particular rifle is another thing.

Looking for advice on the concept from our savvy crowd out there before shopping for powder, I use Varget for the high velocity 36-55gr loads...not the hottest but hot enough, is there a better powder for light loads? Anyone worked up loads such as this? Issues with pressure due to so little powder in the case, etc? Have not done very light loads before so I got some stuff to learn.

Two words.....Blue Dot. Do a search on here as well as the web for Blue Dot and the .223. I suggest a search because I can't remember weights and charge loads off the top of my head. I did try it also with the 35gr lead free NTX with little luck, but truthfully I didn't put a huge effort into it since the V-max shot so we'll.

2017-04-30_09-42-00

Thank you Bisley!!

You nailed it in the first response....searching for both Blue Dot and 223 on good old Google has turned up lots of stuff with that combination to cull through.

Seems there is nothing new under the sun, just gotta ask that first question.

Others??

You may also want to try Trailboss, but it might be too slow for what you want. Yet another option is reduced loads with H4895. This is straight off their website. 

2018-09-19_12-50-25

Interesting side note. I consulted with Blue Dot's maker, Alliant Powder, who informed me they do not have any tested load data using Blue Dot in 223.