Sign in to follow this  
seebass

Making the dive into reloading for coyotes

From the time I shot my first coyotes 20 some years ago, I never carried a shotgun on a stand until this past weekend! I took a buddy out on Sunday that uses a 6.8 SPC AR. I always defer the shots to whoever I take out, so I decided to try something different this time. I brought my Win 1300 NWTF 12g out with me! While not the greatest coyote shotgun, it'll do until I can pickup a better model.

It was totally different out there!! And I want MORE!!! Seeing a coyote at 250 yards KNOWING I had to coax it in was an awesome feeling! Even though my buddy shot that particular coyote, I felt something different about that hunt. 

So... I took the dive a bought a reloader just now! I also bought some hulls, wads, mylar and some different sized spacers.

I didn't want to pay the Hazmat fee so I'll run to my local shop and pick up some Steel powder in the near future. I'm going to start with some HW13 BB's

Strictly coyote loads for the time being.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures to share in the near future!

Carlos with that HW13 BB shot you can make better 3" 12 ga coyote loads than Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote loads for $2.00 to $2.50 per shell less money.

The only thing bad about HW13 shot is the "HOT SHOT" that the wardens use do not recognize HW13 shot as a legal shot type. Make sure you have a magnet with you. HW13 shot is just barely magnetic. It would also be a good idea to print the HW13 bottle picture on Bucks Run's web-site, it says right under the picture that HW13 shot is a tungsten bronze ball and it approved for shooting waterfowl by the USF&W service. I think it is a good idea to have a magnet and some paper work to back you up in your hunting truck. There is a very good chance that you may know more about legal shot types and how the warden should test your loads, than the game warden will.

This morning I ordered 10lbs of HW13 BB’s from Bucks Run Sports/RSI.  

$235 plus shipping. Should be here by Thursday! 

I called Bucks Run yesterday to inquire about my order from last Friday.  They said “it hasn’t shipped yet but it will go out today”.  What??? 

Its a little frustrating when you get charged within an hour of ordering to find out your order sat on their self for a week.  

I was really hoping to get it this week as Im going out on Sunday.  I guess it’ll be a rifle day tomorrow! Hopefully  I’ll get the shot this week.

Carlos     

Had the same experience ordering some SAM1 wads from them. Which is why BPI is my go-to unless I absolutely, positively, must use them. I do not mind waiting, I just want to know ahead of time. Not asking too much I don't believe. Over a week just to put shot, or a bag wads in my case, is absurd. Which is why I kind of have to bite my tongue when little shops bitch and moan about larger retailers. 

Another one to be aware of is SSS (Sharp Shooter Supply) the dedicated Savage parts hole in the wall shop. I watched Shoot-it get strung along for weeks waiting for a spring and an extractor. It was painful to watch. I couldn't imagine being on his end. Especially after I ordered mine a week before and got it quickly. Again, a simple notice ahead of time would have made a world of difference.