Sign in to follow this  
Fjold

Fishing in Texas

I'm working in Texas for the next month or so and met up with one of my old long range buddies, Capt. Tom for a little inshore fishing.

We fished a little inlet sight casting bait for red drum (called redfish here) fish, black drum and speckled trout.  We caught and released a bunch of big redfish I got a 38" and a 40" and Tom landed a 42" monster as well as a bunch of smaller ones.  They have a slot limit here so anything over 28" has to be released.

We caught a bunch of black drum also and just kept a couple of 18" fish for the pot.

We were sight casting with dead shrimp on 12# spinning and bait casting rigs.

Next week we're going to try the same spot with flyrods and surface plug and maybe I can get some better photos. It's hard to stop and take pictures when the fishing's hot.

Black drum
S6MCiO7.jpg?1

Redfish
k0kFmfA.jpg?2
cfPH5ot.jpg?3

Tom and I went out yesterday afternoon, Tom used a flyrod and I threw top water plugs.  I caught over 20 speckled trout, redfish and ladyfish while Tom was catching black drum and redfish.

Here's Tom's big black drum on the fly
yZusV8S.jpg?1

Tom releasing a good redfish:
cMeRa7t.jpg?1

An 18" speckled trout
hLxdYRQ.jpg?1

It was a blast sight fishing with the surface plug and watching them blow up on the lure as close as 5 feet in front of me.

We went out this morning in the rain and fishing was real slow until I changed over to a brass spoon fishing the channel between the sand flats.  On my first cast I hooked into a monster bull redfish and his first run ran 100' of 12# mono and 100 yards of 20# braid. I got him turned and he made a second run and I couldn't stop him.  He turned down the channel and just kept running.  As I started getting down to the bottom of the spool, I started thumbing the spool to increase the drag I got him stopped finally but I couldn't get more than 3-4 cranks on the spool at a time.  After 10 minutes of this he broke the braid.  I got maybe 200 yards braid back but lost 100 yards of it with another 100' of mono.

I did land a 24"+ black drum on another spoon fished along the bottom and some smaller redfish and ladyfish all on lures.

3DDTGsg.jpg?1

I'm back in California this weekend but have to fly back to Texas on Monday morning.  My brother got so jealous of the photos that I was sending that he booked an airline ticket to come down and fish with me next weekend.

Fished yesterday and on the first ten casts I got 7 bites and landed 5 fish.  All of them were smaller speckled trout, ladyfish and redfish.  My brother's flying in tomorrow so we'll spend the whole weekend fishing.

We spent the weekend fishing and here's some photos of my brother Tom and and my buddy Capt. Tom, who used to fish with us on the long range trips out of San Diego on the old Q105, Polaris Supreme and Royal Polaris: Everything was released.

Here's Tom and Capt. Tom with Tom's 27" speckled trout. Tom caught three of these 27"-28" fish this weekend  (you're allowed to keep one above 25")
NKSOvm4.jpg?1

Tom's 30" redfish.  You're only allowed to keep one fish over 29" and you have to tag it as a trophy fish.

CQiu7m4.jpg?1

Tom with one of many black drum that we landed:
yK972pW.jpg?1

My 45" redfish was the biggest of the weekend:
3KChS8E.jpg?1

I fly home Friday morning so we got in one more fishing trip yesterday afternoon:

I lost a 50" redfish, 10 feet from shore but my buddy Tom got a 45" redfish and and 18" speckled trout.  We were out for about 3.5 hours and landed about 30 redfish, a dozen trout and some small croaker and ladyfish

gADTUrx.jpg?1

0p0xJ8O.jpg?1